Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Using the RSA306B on a USB-C port

steffka

Using the RSA306B on a USB-C port

Post by steffka » May 3rd, 2021, 7:26 am

Hello!

I am trying to setup my RSA306B on a laptop through an USB-C port, but it doesn't seem to work properly.
If i plug the instrument into the USB3 port on the same PC, the light on it turns green, and SignalVU detects it and it works fine.

But, if i use an USB-C to USB-A (3.0) adapter like this one, and connects to it through the USB-C port it doesn't work:

The status LED on the device keeps being red. If i start up SignalVU it gives me an error messages saying the device failed to connect as USB 3.0.

I thought an adapter like that(though very simple) should be able to do the job, or do i need some kind of dongle with active circuitry to convert the USB-C to a proper USB 3.0 output?

I am sorry if this question is not a device specific problem, but i thought someone might have some information on why this solution isn't sufficient.

Best regards,
Steffen

w2aew
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: Using the RSA306B on a USB-C port

Post by w2aew » May 3rd, 2021, 7:42 am

The RSA306B can be used via a USB-C to USB-3.0 converter, but the converter must support the highest USB3 speeds and full power. I have used several USB-C adapters from brands such as VAVA, Nimaso, JSAUX, Syntech, and others successfully. It is likely that the adapter you are using doesn't provide full speed/power compatibility.

steffka

Post by steffka » May 3rd, 2021, 7:51 am

w2aew wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 7:42 am
The RSA306B can be used via a USB-C to USB-3.0 converter, but the converter must support the highest USB3 speeds and full power. I have used several USB-C adapters from brands such as VAVA, Nimaso, JSAUX, Syntech, and others successfully. It is likely that the adapter you are using doesn't provide full speed/power compatibility.
Hi W3AEW, and thanks a lot for your really quick reply.
Those adapters you are mentioning, are they dongles, with multiple outputs, or something like the one i attached an image of?

It seems wierd as they are labelled as "USB-C to USB 3.0/USB3.1 (5gbps)" but it might be false advertising then. Maybe it's not the right pins that has been used from the USB-C port to the USB-A port? A normal USB3.0 flash drive seems to work fine through the adapter though.

w2aew
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by w2aew » May 3rd, 2021, 8:00 am

Most of them are dongles - with a short wire between them. The VAVA is a hub. It could be that your device doesn't support the full DC power delivery that the RSA needs (about 450mA).

steffka

Post by steffka » May 3rd, 2021, 8:07 am

Alright, thanks a lot for your help. I will buy a new/proper USB-C dongle and test this again when they arrive. :)

steffka

Post by steffka » May 4th, 2021, 11:11 am

So i ordered some proper USB-C to USB-A type adapters, and it works like a charm now. It was definitely the adapter that was the culprit.
Thanks again for your quick replies, and sorry for a kind of offtopic question..

Looking forward to your next upload.. :D

//Steffen

Return to “RSA300/RSA500/RSA600 Series”