Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

How to reconstruct oscilloscope data imported into a spreadsheet

louyueqing

How to reconstruct oscilloscope data imported into a spreadsheet

Post by louyueqing » March 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm

I want to reconstruct oscilloscope data imported into a spreadsheet directly from my Velleman PCSU200 oscilloscope.

The data of primary interest are the frequency and amplitude, I'm not interested in any other data.

The information in the spreadsheet looks as per the image (snippet) below: (the resulting data is 4000+ rows so too large to post here - I can make it available for download if required.

My question is, how can I calculate the frequency and amplitude from the given data? The amplitude setting on the scope will always be fixed for the purpose of these measurements if that helps, however the timebase will vary.
Imported oscilloscope data
Screenshot of 'scope

I have added a revised image of the Spreadsheet capture. Additionally, I have added a screenshot of the 'scope display. As can be seen, a 1kHz waveform is being displayed.

I will only be using pure sine waves.

The spreadsheet data can be downloaded here:http://www.dnsbits.net/read-velleman.txt. The relative information can be seen here:http://www.apogeeweb.net/(it's plain text file with a .txt extension, so will simply render in your web browser)

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: How to reconstruct oscilloscope data imported into a spreadsheet

Post by Dave W » March 13th, 2018, 1:29 pm

If you were using a Tektronix Oscilloscope, these measurements are built into the instrument and the oscilloscope can provide you their values directly. I cannot help you with a Velleman PCSU200 oscilloscope.

What you might try doing is try writing a Python script to read the data from the CSV file into memory and use some analysis libraries or write your own to make the measurements. If you do an - search for measure waveform frequency in python I'm sure there will be some results that can help.

Return to “General Discussion”