Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Signal analyser and spectrum analyser..?

SuryaTeja

Signal analyser and spectrum analyser..?

Post by SuryaTeja » February 26th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Recently I started my research to find the 5G test and measurement equipment. In my research I found two names i.e spectrum analyser and signal analyser. So, I want to know what are the key differences between these two equipment? Are they same or different?

w2aew
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: Signal analyser and spectrum analyser..?

Post by w2aew » February 27th, 2020, 5:14 am

The terms "Spectrum Analyzer" and "Signal Analyzer" are often used interchangeably, but there is a difference.

A Spectrum Analyzer is an instrument that primarily makes measurements of the spectral or frequency domain content of a signal - basically spectrum traces. It can also make a number of measurements such as Occupied Bandwidth, Channel Power, and many others, in addition to some Zero Span meaurements.

A Signal Analyzer builds upon the Spectrum Analyzer functionality by adding the ability to acquire the RF signal over time and perform a variety of measurements on the acquired signal, such as: Amplitude or Magnitude vs. time, Frequency Deviation vs. Time, Phase Deviation vs. Time, Spectrums vs. Time, IQ vs. Time, etc. In addition, it can be equipped to perform modulation analysis (such as constellation diagrams, EVM, symbol decode, etc.), analysis of standards specific RF signals such as WiFi, Bluetooth, 5G, etc., analysis of pulsed RF signals such as radar, and more.

Often times a Signal Analyzer is referred to as a Spectrum Analyzer, but usually not the other way around.

Return to “General Discussion”