Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Probes for Tektronix TAS465?

farukhcasy2

Probes for Tektronix TAS465?

Post by farukhcasy2 » April 6th, 2020, 6:33 am

I was given a Tektronix TAS465 without any probes and I'd like to - up a set for it. Do "general purpose" probes exist, or are they pretty application-specific? I'm tinkering with motors, audio circuits, and several different types of microcontrollers. What types of features/specifications/brands should I be looking for? Should I just get one probe for each channel, or are there a few types that are good to have on hand?

I'm also buying a DS1054Z, so this scope will mainly be used when digital sampling isn't cutting it for some reason.

I'm going to download and read Tektronix's "XYZs of Oscilloscopes" and "ABCs of Probes" this weekend, but thought I'd also see what you guys have to say.

w2aew
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: Probes for Tektronix TAS465?

Post by w2aew » April 6th, 2020, 6:47 am

You'll want to look for 10x passive probes. There are a LOT on the market. The ABC's of Probes will give you a lot of information. The probes that came with the scope were the P6109 but others such as P6105, P6106, etc. would be fine. You can often find these on the used market. Other manufacturer's probe can work well also. The important thing is that the probe's compensation range includes the input capacitance rating of your scope.

Here's a link to an older copy of the ABCs of probes - closer to the vintage of the scope:
http://w140.com/tek_ABCs_of_Probes_1990.pdf

And even the catalog page from 1993 where this scope is listed:
http://w140.com/tek_tas465_in_1993_catalog.pdf

Return to “General Discussion”