Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TDS754D Python Visa times out on any WFMPre query

jerive

TDS754D Python Visa times out on any WFMPre query

Post by jerive » May 5th, 2021, 11:50 am

Hello,
I'm trying to get data out of my TDS754D using with Python via the GPIB interface. I've imported pyvisa, and am "talking" to the scope. I would like to get 5 columns of data (time, ch1, ch2, ch3,ch4). The other settings would be good to get as well, but not totally necessary.

I'm following an example I found on the web. However, when I get to the portion that is supposed to read the axis info from from the scope, I get a VisaIOError,

Code: Select all

"VisaIOError: VI_ERROR_TMO (-1073807339): Timeout expired before operation completed"
Here are the commands that won't work:

ymult = float(oscope.query('WFMPre:YMUlt')) # y-axis least count
yzero = float(oscope.query('WFMPRE:YZER0')) # y-axis zero error
yoff = float(oscope.query('WFMPRE:YOFF')) # y-axis offset
xincr = float(oscope.query('WFMPRE:XINCR?') # x-axis least count
Other commands seem to work: I can get the raw data -- I just can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at!

oscope.write('CURVe?')
data=oscope.read_raw()
headerlen = 2+int(data[1])
header=data[:headerlen]
ADC_wave= data[headerlen:-1]

It seems like the WFMPre waveform commands are not recognized. Any ideas as to what may be going on?
I'm attaching the python notebook I'm working on to do this, but it is not complete --I'm stuck on this timeout issue when I try to read the axis information.

Thank you,
Jorge
Attachments
TDS754D_data.zip
python notebook
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Return to “General Discussion”