Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

OpenChoice Desktop - Unexpected system error

ArbExpress, OpenChoice Desktop, ExceLINX, LabTracer, KI-Wave, KI-Tool, etc.
JSandberg

OpenChoice Desktop - Unexpected system error

Post by JSandberg » April 2nd, 2018, 3:57 am

Dear,

I have an MSO 2024B oscilloscope. I want to get the sampled data out of the instrument and into my own software. For that I want to use OpenChoice Desktop, then save the data as csv and open my own application.

When I bought the MSO 2024B, a DVD was included with OpenChoice Desktop version 2.1.0.3. I can install and run the software. However, on the web-site of Tektronix there is a version 2.6.0.14. I have downloaded that. Uninstalled the old version and installed the version 2.6.0.14 and TekVISA version 4.1.1.22.

When I launch the OpenChoice, it finds my scope, but when I click on OK to activate the connection, I get the error message: "Unknown or unexpected system error. Please verify the instrument connections or the installation". I use USB for the connection.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the versions 2.1.0.3 and 2.6.0.14 several times during the last three days. The old version 2.1.0.3 works, while the version 2.6.0.14 always comes up with the same error message. The USBTMC driver is the one in the download. The provider is IVI Foundation, date 2013-08-14, version 16.3.17614.0, file version 80.3.17614.0. (The old version 2.1.0.3 has some bugs such as the sample time is constant and not an increasing row of numbers. Hence, I prefer to work with the latest version.)

Please, help to get the new version of OpenChoice to work. What do I have to do?

The OpenChoice download from Tektronix is dated 2016. Does that imply that Tektronix has given up maintaining it?

I use Windows 10 with all updates installed, so fully up to date.

Regards,
Jorgen Sandberg

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Re: OpenChoice Desktop - Unexpected system error

Post by Dave W » April 10th, 2018, 11:58 am

Hi Jorgen,

The USBTMC driver comes as part of the VISA installation. The two different versions of OpenChoice Desktop are no doubt bundled with two different versions of OpenChoice TekVISA and perhaps two different versions of the USBTMC driver. It's possible all the version changing is causing an issue, but I cannot say.

For proper installation that is known to work correctly do the following:

From a clean system (all copies of OpenChoice Desktop and TekVISA removed)
  1. Install the latest OpenChoice Desktop.
  2. Install the latest TekVISA.
Make sure you install in this order.

Tektronix Openchoice Desktop Application TDSPCS1 - v2.6

TEKVISA CONNECTIVITY SOFTWARE - V4.1.1

tremblaybryan

Re: OpenChoice Desktop - Unexpected system error

Post by tremblaybryan » March 25th, 2020, 6:39 pm

I've got the original CD software and it work on WIN XP OS, just contact me at [email protected] if you want it.

Return to “Other and Discontinued Software”