Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

3706A-SNFP Connection Issue

mass_gsi

3706A-SNFP Connection Issue

Post by mass_gsi » January 25th, 2016, 7:49 am

Hello,

I'm having issues trying to connect with a 3706A-SNFP device. I've tried many many times with DHCP ut I'm not able to know which address is the device getting.

I don't know if I should use some program to get connection to the device in order to change it to the desired IP address settings.

How should I do this? Which is the default address of this device or how could I know this while it has no screen? I find no information related to this topic in screen less equipment.

Thanks in advance

Kenneth P
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 3706A-SNFP Connection Issue

Post by Kenneth P » January 25th, 2016, 12:03 pm

The factory default settings for the 3706A systems are:
LAN
• Method = Auto (DHCP and auto-IP enabled)
• IP address not assigned
• Default gateway not assigned
• Telnet port = 23
• Raw socket port = 5025
• VXI-11 port = 1024
• Dead socket termination port = 5030

Your TCP/IP v4 settings should be set to obtain an IP address and DSN server dynamically (obtain address automatically). Connect a standard CAT 5 cable (not the yellow Cat 5 crossover cable) to between the computer and 3706A. Do not connect to a hub or router when you do this. Be sure you are connecting to the Ethernet port, not the TSP link ports.
Open the Command Prompt (found in the Accessories), type ipconfig
Look for the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection and the address assigned to the TCP/IP v4 listing for the Local Area Connection. i.e. 169.254.152.51
From the Command Prompt, type arp -a
There will be a list of addresses that will be returned. The display should indicate an IP address that shares the first two numbers as your computer's Ethernet adapter local area connection. Under the Type heading, the address type should show as dynamic. You can then go to your web browser by typing in that IP address. If the address is correct, you should get the 3706A web page for the instrument.

There are other methods to identify addresses on the local connection.

mass_gsi

Post by mass_gsi » January 25th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Thanks for your answer.

arp -a was the command I needed. The address was dinamyc in the 192.168.*.* área. Maybe our provider (system integrator changed it).

Thanks again.

mass_gsi

Post by mass_gsi » January 26th, 2016, 7:50 am

Hello,

I write this eail because I continue with problema in orer to communicate properly with the 3706A-SNFP device.

Now I have access to the device web page, I've changed the IP Address to the desired one.

The problema comes when I try to communicate with the device using Socket. When I try to add the device in the Keithley Configuration Panel the last screen shows the following.

Please see attached -.

When I try the communication using this configuration, I get timeout error when I try to read a message. I have tried both with Keithley Communicator or with NI MAX. I have tray almos all the CR, LF, and other terminating codes without any success.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Keithley Config.PNG
Keithley Config.PNG (24.27 KiB) Viewed 15965 times

Kenneth P
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Kenneth P » January 26th, 2016, 8:22 am

NI Max uses the NI VISA layer to connect to the 3706A. The VISA Resource Name doesn't require a socket. In your case, the VISA resource uses an INSTR extension.

After changing the IP address, reconfirm the 3706A is set to the new IP address using your web browser. If the 3706A web page comes up, the address changed successfully. Sometimes I use the Command prompt to ping the IP address to confirm the connection is working properly as well however it does not return any ID information. Only that an instrument is present.

ping 192.168.2.38

Assuming the address in the image is correct, the NI Max VISA resource is: TCPIP0::192.168.2.38::INSTR. Use this rather than a socket. I suggest using Test Script Builder software and use this resource name. Test Script Builder can be downloaded at the following address: http://www.tek.com/test-script-builder. Test Script Builder will also help in understanding the instrument command language for the 3706A along with a number of program examples.

mass_gsi

Post by mass_gsi » January 28th, 2016, 8:49 am

Hello Keneth,

I have been making test and I've been able to connect with this resuorce: TCPIP0::192.168.2.38::inst0::INSTR

I don't get the socket communication to work. I should be something easy, but I've tried withh almost al terminación chars and I'm not able to get a good Reading with Raw Socket. Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Series 3700 Switch System/Multimeter and Plug-In Cards”