Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

LAN connection fails in long measurements

jolkkonen

LAN connection fails in long measurements

Post by jolkkonen » December 17th, 2010, 12:49 am

Hi,

We are using Keithley 3706 DMM in long measurements that last several days. The used script is attached. If the parameter USER_DELAY_SWEEP = 0.1, the program runs just fine. However, if USER_DELAY_SWEEP = 60, no data is transferred onto the computer screen when the main measurement loop has looped more than 1274 times. We are running the instrument via the web interface. Could you please help us?

Best regards,
Juuso
Attachments
DC_voltage.tsp
Script that fails in long measurements
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 1697 times

Derek M
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: LAN connection fails in long measurements

Post by Derek M » December 17th, 2010, 2:19 am

Hi Jusso,

Could you please let me know what version of firmware is on the 3706? You can find out by pressing "Menu", and then select "System-Info".

Thanks,

Derek

jolkkonen

Post by jolkkonen » December 18th, 2010, 9:18 am

Hi Derek,

We have updated the latest firmware version available at Keithley's website. The firmware version is 1.40k.

Best regards,
Juuso

Christian R
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Christian R » December 18th, 2010, 1:39 pm

If you want to have a stabel USB, GBIB or LAN connection !!!!!

It is very Important to have the latest Firmware and Operating System (OS) installed.

The firmware update to 1.40K is a little bit complex !!!!

1. Do a "normal" Firmware update.
2- Do it a second time: By pressing the bottom Menu - Upgrade - Previous. This is very important !!!!
3. Upgrade the OS - The file will be downloaded with the Firmware. Have this file also on your USB- Stick in the main-directory ! Switch On the Instrument !

But this will be only be possible with a low volume USB Key ~ 512 MB. Otherwise the 3706 has booted and hasn't found a USB- Key during the booting process.

If the OS upgrade has worked, you can check this with the command:
print(localnode.info())

regards Christian

jolkkonen

Post by jolkkonen » December 20th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Dear Christian,

Below you can find the output that we get with the print(localnode.info()) command. It seems that we have the latest version of OS Firmware.

What should we do next? It would be great if you could test our script in your instrument and check if you will face the same problem. The reported problem typically occurs when the script has run for 22 hours.

I have also noticed that the "Abort script" button in the web interface stops working after the script has run for an hour or so.

Best regards,
Juuso

print(localnode.info())
MAIN| Model: 3706
MAIN| SerialNumber: 01232769
MAIN| Firmware: 01.40k
MAIN| OS Firmware: 5.00.16.07
MAIN| LineFreq: 50
MAIN| SystemSettingsEncoding: 2
MAIN| MebNodeID: 2
MAIN| GpibAddr: 16
MAIN| GpibIntrMsgGap: 0.000250
MAIN| BackPlaneSerNum: Z008575
MAIN| BackPlaneBrdRev: A
MAIN| BackPlaneDev: NONE
MAIN| FinalAssemblyTestStatus: 1
MAIN| PowerOnSetup: 0
DISP| SerNum: Z008016
DISP| BrdRev: A
DISP| Dev: NONE
SLT1| Desc: 3720 Dual 1x30 Multiplexer
SLT1| Model: 3720
SLT1| Firmware: 01.40h
SLT1| CType: 3720
SLT1| sernum: 1231307
SLT1| Board Number: Z009109
SLT1| Test Status: 1
SLT1| Test Date: 3/5/2009
SLT2| EMPTY SLOT.
SLT3| EMPTY SLOT.
SLT4| EMPTY SLOT.
SLT5| EMPTY SLOT.
SLT6| EMPTY SLOT.
DMMD| Firmware: 01.40k
DMMD| SerNum: Z008864
DMMD| BrdRev: B
DMMD| Dev: NONE
DMMA| SerNum: Z008065
DMMA| BrdRev: C
DMMA| Dev: 44756
DMMA| TestStat: 1
DMMA| CalDate: FNJGKPEJ
DMMA| CalCount: ABAAAAAA
DMMA| VerCalDate: FNJGKPEJ

TSP>

Christian R
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Christian R » December 21st, 2010, 12:09 am

Dear Juuso,

I took a look in your code. Please add a waitcomplete() command after the scan.background() command to your code.

Best regards
Christian

jolkkonen

Post by jolkkonen » December 21st, 2010, 12:45 am

Hi Cristian,

Last night I run the script using the scan.execute(mybuffer) command instead of the scan.background(mybuffer) command, but still I had the same problem. Thus, I have a doubt that the waitcomplete() command will resolve the problem. But, let's see. I just started a measument with the scan.background() and waitcomplete() commands. I will let you know tomorrow what was the outcome.

Best regards,
Juuso

jolkkonen

Post by jolkkonen » December 22nd, 2010, 12:24 am

Hello,

I tried the waitcomplete() command, but we are still having the same problem. Could you please help us? We have been scrabbling with this problem already couple of weeks.

BR,
Juuso

John Ryl
Keithley
Keithley

Post by John Ryl » December 22nd, 2010, 5:44 am

1274 * 60 = approx 21 hrs. Are you using DHCP? If so then I would change to fixed IP or change the DHCP lease time in the router to something much longer. Usually it is 24 hours and if it is in your case my guess would be that on the lease renewal the connection to the instrument gets lost and who knows how its going to recover.

jolkkonen

Post by jolkkonen » December 23rd, 2010, 12:43 am

We are using a fixed IP. It would be great if someone at Keithley could check if they will face the same problem.

In addition, I have noticed that if I save measurement data also on a USB stick, ~1270 measurement are transferred on the computer screen but only first ~700 measurements are saved on the USB stick. This happens even though the file1:flush() command is executed at each iteration step. The memory stick size is 256 MB and I have tried several different USB sticks.

Best regards,
Juuso

jolkkonen

Post by jolkkonen » January 2nd, 2011, 11:02 pm

Could you suggest what to do next? Our project is falling behind the schedule because of this instrumental problem.

Best regards,
Juuso

FilipeVelosa

Post by FilipeVelosa » December 2nd, 2016, 8:49 am

Hello all,
I'm faceing the same problem in DMM7510. Can somebody explain me how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Filipe Velosa

Vince W
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Vince W » December 4th, 2016, 8:28 am

Hi Filipe,

Regarding the old topic, have you downloaded v1.41C for your 3706?
Note that because the 3706 was discontinued (replaced by the 3706A), it is not likely we can update the firmware beyond v1.41C.

Can you please provide the details of what you are doing with the DMM7510?
Have you tried a different PC/controller to see if the problem is related to the PC instead of the instrument?

Vince
A Greater Measure of Confidence

FilipeVelosa

Post by FilipeVelosa » December 5th, 2016, 9:57 am

Hello Vince and thanks for replying,

I'm performing measurements at 1khz for 5,5 hours, transferring data to computer, storing and repeating the process for several times times. At the moment I'm using labview 13, windows 10 and the DMM has the 1.3.0s version firmware. Attached you can find the .vi file.
Today i repeated a measurement and after 3h acquiring, got again the same error: "Error 2109 - DHCP lease lost" on the front panel of the device, the LAN led turns off and the device's ip changes.

Best regards,
Filipe Velosa
Attachments
Timing.vi
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 1503 times

Vince W
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Vince W » December 5th, 2016, 10:22 am

Hi Filipe,

We have several newer versions of firmware available on our web site:
http://www.tek.com/search/apachesolr_se ... tid%3A1029
You can check the release notes for each to see if anything is related, and see if this is firmware related.
Based on some things I'm seeing from other customers, I would upgrade to v1.5.0g and not v1.6.1a.

However, this is not likely a firmware issue. If the DHCP lease was lost, it is more likely caused by the DHCP server on your LAN and not the instrument. When a DHCP lease is lost, it is possible that the IP address of the DMM7510 would change (as you said), and the "old" IP address was given to another device, which as you imagine would cause the communication between your PC and the DMM7510 to time out. Some networks are managed such that they require PCs/devices renew their DHCP address lease with some frequency. Or, if you don't have a DHCP server and you are using "Auto IP" addresses such as 169.254.xx.xx, these will change every so often. A long-term data acquisition session like yours would be compatible with changing IP addresses.

One sure way to avoid this problem is to use fixed IP addresses on the DMM7510 and your PC.
I recommend dedicating a NIC (Network Interface Card) in your PC exclusively to instrument communications, and use Fixed IP addresses for all devices on this sub-net. If this is not possible, ask your LAN administrator if it is possible to use a fixed IP address for your DMM7510 on the existing LAN.
If your PC and the DMM7510 are the only devices on the LAN, then set them both to use fixed IP addresses.

Vince
A Greater Measure of Confidence

Return to “Series 3700 Switch System/Multimeter and Plug-In Cards”