Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

3706, Ethernet and Windows Vista

dragos27

3706, Ethernet and Windows Vista

Post by dragos27 » August 22nd, 2011, 5:05 am

I am trying to connect to a 3706 through Ethernet from a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, but unsuccessfully. I even upgraded the unit to firmware version 1.41c, but it still doesn't work. Last week I successfully connected to a 2651A through Ethernet using the same laptop, so I don't see what could be the problem with the 3706.

Would you be so kind as to help me figure this out, please?

Thank you in advance

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 3706, Ethernet and Windows Vista

Post by Nathan S » August 22nd, 2011, 5:40 am

Are you trying to connect to it through a network switch/router while it is on your network with a Static IP, or are you trying to just use a one-to-one connection with your laptop via a crossover cable and either Static or Dynamic IP?

dragos27

Post by dragos27 » August 22nd, 2011, 6:02 am

I am using a crossover cable, while the 3706 has a dynamic IP address. I am typing it in the browser and it says that the address cannot be found. What is interesting is that I performed the same with a 2651 and it all went fine.

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Nathan S » August 22nd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Is the LAN indicator light on solid on the front? Can you ping the address through the command prompt accessible by typing cmd in the Run.. box and then typing ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where that is the address of the 3706?

dragos27

Post by dragos27 » August 22nd, 2011, 2:03 pm

Yes, the LAN indicator is on solid. I tried to ping the ip of 3706 from the command prompt but with no success. However, when I ping the gateway ip, it responds. It is like the message gets blocked in the gateway.

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Nathan S » August 23rd, 2011, 7:25 am

It sounds like we should reset and start over one last time before we dig into another method.

Disconnect the 3706 from your computer. Go into the Start Menu/Windows button and look for the Control Panel. I apologize but I do not know the exact menus and clicks for Vista as I do not have access to a computer running Windows Vista here. Look for Network settings or Network Adapters. We're looking for a list of your actual Network connections or adapters. Once you have found that, right click on the wired LAN adapter you will be using for the connection to the 3706. Select Properties near the bottom of the list. Once there, scroll through the list in the new window and look for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties below. Make sure that the Radio Button for Obtain an IP address automatically and then Obtain DNS server address automatically are both selected. Click OK on the TCP/IP properties window and then again on your Local Area Connection Properties window. Wait a moment for the settings to take effect but we can go over to the 3706 now.

Press the MENU button on the front panel. Use the navigation wheel to select LAN and press the wheel to select that. In the LAN menu, select RESET and hit Enter. Now exit out to the main screen on the front panel using the Exit button a couple times or so. Now, connect the PC to the 3706 with the crossover cable. Wait a minute or two for the settings to take effect and the LAN light to go solid like you have before. Now scroll through the menu to search for the address that the 3706 is now configured to and try connecting that way or trying pinging the address. I hope this works for you. If not, perhaps we should try a Static IP.

Return to “Series 3700 Switch System/Multimeter and Plug-In Cards”