Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Need help setting up the 2306

2302, 2303, 2303-PJ, 2304, 2306, 2306-PJ, 2306-VS, 2308
YusifNurizade

Need help setting up the 2306

Post by YusifNurizade » November 21st, 2011, 5:43 am

Hello everyone,

I was assigned some work on a Keithley 2306 Dual Channel Battery/Charger Simulator and since it is my first time using it, I was hoping to get some assistance.

I am trying to control the instrument via GPIB using LabVIEW drivers and was told that in order to be able to do things like set the voltage, I would need to wire Output 1 and Output 2 together so one could send commands to the other. I have not been able to find such a case in the manual, the only Output wiring there includes an outside source and no mention of LabVIEW, nor anywhere -.

Later I might need some help with the drivers themselves but am currently looking for help on wiring between Outputs 1 & 2 considering my goal is to control the voltage via LabVIEW.

Will really appreciate any advice that can be offered,
Yusif

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Need help setting up the 2306

Post by Nathan S » November 21st, 2011, 5:59 am

Yusif,

There are some example LabView programs, the LabView drivers, and other - support available here for the 2306. Perhaps one of the programs will assist you in your programming. http://www.keithley.com/support/keidoc_ ... m_type=All

I don't necessarily understand the connect Output 1 and 2 together to contact each other idea as they are inside the same instrument; the single GPIB connection would be able to talk to both. One thing you really need to do with this series is to connect Output HI and Sense HI together (as well as output LO and sense LO) to provide better feedback and to ensure proper operation. Figure 2-1 and 2-2 on page 44 and 45 of the instruction manual for the 2306 (rev. F) show a couple ways to do this, with remote sense being the preferred option. Perhaps there is some sort of special case for your application here regarding connecting the channels together, but sections 1 and 2 of the manual goes over getting started and the basic operation.

YusifNurizade

Post by YusifNurizade » November 21st, 2011, 6:57 am

Nathan thank you for the quick response.

I downloaded the driver and have been trying to get it to work for a bit before deciding to hit the boards for some advice.

I may have misunderstood the information relayed to be regarding the wiring of the outputs (or it may have been a miscommunication) but am fully willing to try it the way you are suggesting. I was hoping you could clarify regarding the preferrence for the remote sense;

I am looking at the manual and the remote sense has all the wires running to the DUT, which I am assuming means Device Under Test, and only connecting at the node. Local sense has them connected first and then running to the DUT so I am wondering if in my case, local should be preferred considering I initially want only to control the voltage level with LabVIEW and only after this has been accomplished, move on to applying this to devices.

Again your advice is greatly appreciated.

Yusif

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Nathan S » November 21st, 2011, 7:01 am

You are correct. The benefit of remote sense is a more accurate reading for the voltage feedback and the cabling with the 2300 family is very important. Being the fast-transient boxes, low inductance, low capacitance cabling is a must. For your testing currently, yes, local sense is fine. But once you switch to devices, the better feedback provides better response, performance, and reduces the possibility of oscillations.

YusifNurizade

Post by YusifNurizade » November 21st, 2011, 8:58 am

Nathan,

Thank you again for the prompt replies; they are really helping me move forward with operating the Keithley.

I connected the Source and Sense on Output (Channel?) 1 as you specified using a 20 guage wire that I suspect is really a 22 guage and tried to run the voltage setup vi
(Keithley 23xx LV 8.0.lvlib:KE23xx 06 -PJ -VS 08 -- Setup Ch1 Source Voltage. vi) to no avail. The wiring is done as was specified, the program is recognizing the 2306 device and said device is on. I am looking through the manual but am not finding anything with regard to LabVIEW that would be relevant.

Is there somewhere else I can post this question or can we address it here? My goal for today is to be able to adjust the voltage via my LabVIEW voltage setup vi.

Thank you again,
Yusif

YusifNurizade

Post by YusifNurizade » November 21st, 2011, 12:34 pm

The LabVIEW control issue has been resolved. By disabling the query I was able to direct the Keithley in terms of the voltage.

The last problem I have been having involves the current. I manually set the current to .5A (or anything else for that matter) and if I attach a DVM to the wires between source and sense, I can see the it reflected. However;

A. If no DVM is attached, the current jumps between the 1-2A range despite the manual specification; when I press SET nothing happens and the same can be said for when I set the current via LabVIEW.

B. When the DVM is attached (I tried two methods; taking the two wires that run between Source +/- and Sense +/- and attaching them to the DVM probes as well as giving each of the aformentioned it's own wire, four in total, and creating a node for + and a node for - to insert the DVM probes) the Keithley current displays an overflow and the voltage shoots down into the small decimal range while DVM displays what it should. The DVM was reconfigured correctly for the current measurement so that isn't the problem.

I would appreciate any advice you can give; once I figure out the current issue I can move on to actually using this instrument!

Thanks,
Yusif

Return to “Series 2300”