Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

2303-PJ (Setting up for battery life testing)

2302, 2303, 2303-PJ, 2304, 2306, 2306-PJ, 2306-VS, 2308
usmanaulakh

2303-PJ (Setting up for battery life testing)

Post by usmanaulakh » January 5th, 2012, 10:30 am

Hi All,

I have recently joined this web forum. I have 2303-PJ Power Supply which I would like to use for battery life testing to measure talk time and stand by levels. I am not sure what I would require for testing battery power consumption in different scenarios.

I see that there is a 8 pin connector on the rear panel. It has connections for power supply and sense lines. Is that all I need to test battery life power consumption?

This is what I was thinking so far. I would need V+, V-, S+/- connectors on both power supply and device end. Do I need to have battery emulator placed in the phone or I can do battery life test by using real battery?

How can I set up the system? I would probably require to automate the system using scpi commands and set up voltages for normal and extreme conditions to test battery?

Thank you for your help!
Usman

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 2303-PJ (Setting up for battery life testing)

Post by Dale C » January 9th, 2012, 8:23 am

You have the right idea. The main thing is to keep the Sense lines either connected at the device or at the unit itself. Without these connections erratic behavior could occur.
Now you just need the SCPI commands to make it happen.
Normally I will test this with front panel controls first. Then convert to the SCPI Commands.

usmanaulakh

Re: 2303-PJ (Setting up for battery life testing)

Post by usmanaulakh » January 9th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Dale.

Yeah, I will test through the front panel before i automate using SCPI commands. I would like to know current drawn during active voice/data usage and sleep mode from device under test.

So if I keep the voltage to 4.2(assuming fully charge battery) and current limit to 3 A, then I can have the V+/-, S+/- terminating on DUT side and then I can get current levels in different scenarios?

Is there some sort of formula i have to use to get the battery life in different scenarios.. I think it has something to do with current rating on the battery, current drawn or something?

if you can give me an example, that would be really helpful..

Thanks once again,

Return to “Series 2300”