Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

2306 Output 2 Sense

2302, 2303, 2303-PJ, 2304, 2306, 2306-PJ, 2306-VS, 2308
roakes499

2306 Output 2 Sense

Post by roakes499 » June 1st, 2016, 10:11 am

I am using the 2306 to supply power to a cellular phone. I'm having an issue with my test station where the supply is showing a current draw on output 2 when nothing is connected.
I have approximately 10 feet of twisted pair 22AWG wire (for both sense and source) connected to an interface board (A) which passes the sense and source lines through to another interface board (B) which connects the sense and source lines together immediately in front of a hot swap switch (TPS25910).
I'm seeing around 70mA of current drain (@ 5V) on the supply with no load connected. When I connect the same hardware to output 1 of the same supply, it doesn't read any current drain (actually about 2mA which is due to the hot swap switch).
I have found that if I connect the sense and source lines together on interface board A at the connector where it enters, I do not see the 70mA current drain.
Why do I see a different response from the two outputs? I have also tried this setup with a 2304 power supply and again I don't see current drain.

It seems like there is something in my setup that output 2 doesn't like perhaps causing an oscillation.

What would you recommend I look at to try and prevent this from happening?

If needed, I could show a schematic of my setup.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: 2306 Output 2 Sense

Post by Dale C » June 1st, 2016, 11:35 am

In any of the 2300 power supplies the sense lines must be connected.
Either at the unit or at the device under test. Without the sense lines connected the analog circuitry goes into unstable feedback and oscillation might occur.
70mA is a large current draw with no load connected.
Either the unit is in need of service or the sense lines are not connected properly.

roakes499

Re: 2306 Output 2 Sense

Post by roakes499 » June 1st, 2016, 12:17 pm

Dale,
Thanks for the reply.

I have validated that the sense lines are connected to the source lines. I have tried this exact setup on several 2306 supplies and I get the same result on each.

Again, this only happens on output 2. Output 1 performs as expected (simply moved terminal block between supplies). Seems there is some interaction with my hardware and output 2. Trying to figure out what is different between the two outputs that may point to what in my hardware is causing this to happen.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Ronnie

Return to “Series 2300”