Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

IV sweep setting start V and stop I

kthl123

IV sweep setting start V and stop I

Post by kthl123 » February 7th, 2020, 1:15 am

Hi everyone,

I need to do a reverse IV sweep of a solar cell and it is important that the sweep stops when there is a breakdown of the cell.
My idea was to make an IV sweep with a starting voltage of 0 V and then set a current to stop the sweep. Apparently it is only possible to sweep with start and stop V or I, but not combine them.

Another idea I had is to make a sweep with start and stop V and add a condition to stop the sweep if a certain current is reached.

Are any of these options possible or do you have any idea of how can I do this?

Thank you for your time.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: IV sweep setting start V and stop I

Post by Andrea C » February 23rd, 2020, 4:26 am

With a SourceMeter, if sweeping or forcing voltage, then current compliance limiting is in effect too.
If forcing current, voltage compliance limiting is in effect.

Let’s assume you force voltage with current limit. If the current limit is reached, the voltage will no longer be changing (increasing) because instead the SMU will enforce and not allow more current than the max you request with compliance value. The voltage will be the I*R of your DUT.
It’s an ohms law machine where your DUT is the R and the SMU can control V or I but not both at the same time.

To save time, we can sometimes exit a sweep if compliance condition occurs. Suppose you do a 100 point sweep, and compliance happens at point #20; rather than do 80 more points stuck at that fixed current, you might want to exit the sweep.

How to detect compliance and exit depends on which SMU model and how the test is configured.

Return to “Solar Cell Measurements”