Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TNC to Triax adapter for 6517B

alepina

TNC to Triax adapter for 6517B

Post by alepina » November 26th, 2015, 10:04 am

Hi, I am assisting a client who wants to connect a 6517B Electrometer to an Ion Chamber that has a TNC connector.

I could not find any Triax to TNC adaptor by Keithley but I did find a TNC to Triax BNC by CNMC. Will this an a Model 6171 (3-slot male to 2-lug female triax adapter) work?
Alternatively, I found a Triax BNC Plug (M/F) [3-Lug] cable connector by RPD Inc. Will this fit the input connector on the 6517B?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Joseph V
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: TNC to Triax adapter for 6517B

Post by Joseph V » November 30th, 2015, 7:08 am

I'm not sure what a TNC connection is. Do you mean a BNC connection?
If so we do offer the 237-BNC-TRX which has a female triax on one end and a male BNC on the other end.
Alternatively you can also use the 7078-TRX-BNC which has a male triax connection and then a female BNC connection on the other end.
Both will accomplish the same task but terminates at different points.

brian.d.smith
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by brian.d.smith » November 30th, 2015, 7:26 pm

We do not have any TNC adapters. If you want to adapt an electrometer triax to TNC, you will require two adapters. One adapter to change Keithley triax to BNC and the other adapter to change BNC to TNC.

It is very common to have two or three adapters to change Keithley triax to something much more garden variety.

Do not use a triax adapter from another manufacturer unless you are 100% positive that it does not not short out an important signal and that it does not introduce leakage. Keithley triax adapters are the result of decades of refinement.

alepina

Post by alepina » December 1st, 2015, 11:00 am

Thank you both for your help.

Assuming I use a 7078-TRX-BNC Adapter, I will lose the 3rd connection, so this is not a viable option.
I attach a - of a Triax BNC male to Triax TNC female adapter. Will this adapter fit a 6171 adapter? In other words, is a Triax connector the same as what other manufacturers call Triax BNC (disregarding the slots-lugs)?
Attachments
triax-bnc-m-to-triax-tnc-fm-connector-adapter.jpg
triax-bnc-m-to-triax-tnc-fm-connector-adapter.jpg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 21009 times

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » December 7th, 2015, 8:36 am

From this - it looks to me like this is a standard triax and would fit a Model 6171 two lug to three lug adapter.
Dale

alepina

Post by alepina » December 9th, 2015, 4:26 am

Thank you Dale and Keithley Staff for your help.

Return to “Cables and Connectors”