Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

GPIB board programming

alaayesh

GPIB board programming

Post by alaayesh » January 12th, 2011, 9:29 pm

hello,

i have an old PCI 488 GPIB, which am using for communication with my oscilloscope. i downloaded a driver for my oscilloscope from national instrument and it uses visa commands, so i kept having an error saying "interpreting instrument response" so i stopped using the driver and tried to use the gpib commands of my card, i was able to set all the required parameters using send command but i wasn't able to read the signals neither by using receive or enter or rarray ??

can any one help?????

please i have only seven days to deliver my work :(

thanks

alaayesh

Re: GPIB board programming

Post by alaayesh » January 13th, 2011, 6:43 am

Hello again,

Can any one correct me with this code which is supposed to read the signals from my oscilloscope

GPIB.transmit ("MLA TALK 1 DATA ':TRACe? CH1A ' ",status)
GPIB.rarray(data,64,len,status)

i return a status with 0 which means there are no error , but at the same time i get lenght of 0 (len=0) which means that i received nothing .

please help

thanks

Jennifer C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: GPIB board programming

Post by Jennifer C » January 18th, 2011, 7:57 am

Hello Alaayesh,

The Rarray command is used to retrieve data in binary format. If you are trying to retrieve data in ASCII or string formatting, you will want to use the ENTER command. Too, you should be able to use the SEND command to query the oscilloscope. Lastly, the ":TRACE?" query is a SCPI query that is used to retrieve data from the reading buffer of the instrument. Ensure that you have configured the reading buffer of the scope. You may instead need to use the ":READ?" or ":FETCH?" query. However, your oscilloscope manufacturer will be able to help you best configure and retrieve data from the instrument.

Best Regards,

Jennifer

Return to “Instrument Accessories & GPIB”