Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

(3706 DMM + 3720 MUX) interface using KUSB 488a with PC

rameshyrvr

(3706 DMM + 3720 MUX) interface using KUSB 488a with PC

Post by rameshyrvr » July 1st, 2014, 10:12 pm

Hi every body,
I am currently working on interfacing Kiethley 3706 system to PC. I am using KUSB 488A GPIB interface card for the same. I installed Kiol Layer sofware & 488A GPIB drivers(version 9.2) mentioned from Kiethley support site.

I have noticed that READY LED in controller is lit. But when I try to communicate using Kiethley communicator/ NI MAX VISA session:
I am not able to communicate with the device.

Also I was sugggested to download the 3700 series driver from the link below:
http://www.keithley.com/base_download?dassetid=57075

But when I downloaded the same. There was no setup file in download. I have some files with ".ZX" extensions.
1. Kinldy suggest method to verify the correct installation of 3706 drivers
2. Method to commmunicate with device using LabVIEW with GPIB interface.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Kindly advise.

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Re: (3706 DMM + 3720 MUX) interface using KUSB 488a with PC

Post by Stuart M » July 2nd, 2014, 12:19 pm

NI Max only works with NI GPIB products, so this will not work.

First it is best to verify the driver is installed and working.
Connect your KUSB-488A to the pc.
If the device is not automatically recognized and connected, then:
Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager
Select "Action" from the top menu.
Then select "Scan for hardware changes"....Wait for device driver to completely install.
If successful, the device should appear in Device Manager listed under GPIB Interface.

If this works then attempt to talk to the instrument using the GPIB driver.
Connect an instrument and run the driver test below to confirm presence of device and instrument:
Run the Keithley Instruments -> GPIB-488 -> GPIB Diagnostic (should display Board Id: GPIB0). If this works then use CEC -> TRTEST.EXE to talk to your instrument.

If all this works then open NI-VISA Interactive Control and verify both the interface and instrument are detected by VISA.
Expect to see both the GPIB0::INTFC and GPIB0::16::INSTR devices listed (if your instrument is at address 16).

If everything works, then you should be able to use the instrument in LabVIEW too.

The link you listed for the 3700 series driver is not correct, tha link is for the firmware..
If you want to use a driver, follow this link to see all available 3700 series drivers:
http://www.keithley.com/support/keidoc_ ... are+Driver

rameshyrvr

Post by rameshyrvr » July 8th, 2014, 12:57 am

Hi Mr. Stuart,
Thanks for Reply.
Like I mentioned, READY LED in controller is lit. Device is getting detected when using TRTEST.exe provided in path:>> Kiethley Instruments>>GPIB-488\CEC\trtest.exe

When I run Board Present? & Listener Present?, Board Found on the system & Listener fond messages are displayed. So I believe device is being detected.
Also when I send *IDN?, "0 : Success" reply pops up in status field. " Operation completed" message will be received.

But using a VISA session in LabVIEW, a VISA write error is popping up. It is attached. I am using the "Simple MEasurement Example.vi" from the labview example library of Kiethley instruments.
Kindly suggest.

Regards,
Ramesh Y R
Attachments
TRC test.JPG
TRC test.JPG (54.06 KiB) Viewed 16605 times

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » July 8th, 2014, 7:54 am

Please try TRTEST again.
Press the INITIALIZE button and accept the default address.
Then attempt to talk to your instrument using the SEND and ENTER buttons.
Just send a simple *IDN? and see if you can get the identification information back from the instrument.

If this works, then the driver is good.

Next we need to verify VISA works with your interface and instrument.
Open NI VISA Interactive Control.
You should see both the GPIB0::INTFC and GPIB0::16::INSTR devices listed (if your instrument is at address 16).

If this works, then double click on the GPIB0::16::INSTR and select the Input/Output menu at the top of the dialog.
Then press the Query button and verify that the Write and Read operations work and that the Read Operation returned the correct *IDN? response from the instrument (Company, Model Number, Firmware version).

rameshyrvr

Post by rameshyrvr » July 15th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Thanks Stuart.
It worked now. I had issue with NI VISA driver. I repaired it. It is working fine now.

One other observation is sometimes when I send a query command to Device using NI VISA Interactive control. It will not respond. But after I Initiatlise it with "TRTESTER" and try a VISA session. It works.

Kindly let me know things happening in initialisation. So that I can incorporate the same in my LabVIEW application.

Thanks in Advance for reply.

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » July 16th, 2014, 5:53 am

Great to hear that your problem is solved.
VISA Interactive is not nearly as smart as LabVIEW.
For instance, the TERM_CHAR_EN should be configured ON and set to x0A.
It could be the TRTEST does do the initialization setup and handles this better.
I think you won't see the same problem when you query your device using LabVIEW using VISA Write and VISA Read.

Return to “Instrument Accessories & GPIB”