Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.
My problem is very simple: I cannot get either of my KUSB-488A or B started on Windows 7, which is the OS of my workstation. Before I go into details, I would like to say that I followed the instruction for driver installation provided by the Quick Start Guide line by line, and that I could get both my KUSB-488A and B installed on my Windows XP laptop without any problem.
On Win7 however, I keep either getting a message that "unknown device" cannot be installed, or sometimes the OS recognizes it as KUSB-488 but still says it cannot find a suitable driver for it. It never however asks for searching for the driver and I had to launch the search manually.
I tried every troubleshooting suggestion of the quick start guide several times and never got any luck:
- I tried everyone of the 12 USB ports my workstation contains
- I reinstalled the driver (from CD) a dozen times
- I rebooted my PC many times
- I made windows search for the driver on every Keithley folder, and even made it search the entire computer
I would like to point out , in case it is relevant, that my workstation has Labview 2010 Professional installed in it, and that I use a keithlez 2611A Sourcemeter and a K-428 current amplifier.
I would appreciate any help on this subject, it is unpleasant to remain stuck on such a basic problem.
Check your c:\windows\system32\gpib32.dll file properties and see what the company and file version is....if National Instruments, for instance, then that would explain your problem.
In all events, try the following:
1. Uninstall NI-488.2 (if present). Usually this comes along when you installed NI-VISA.
To check and remove go to control panel -> add/remove programs
Look under National Instruments Software, click on change/remove and look for NI-488.2.
If present, please uninstall it.
2. Uninstall any Keithley KUSB-488A & KUSB-488B drivers
3. Remove any gpib-32.dll files from c:\windows\system32\ folder
4. Reboot system
5. Download and install the latest KUSB-488A or KUSB-488B driver from Keithley's website which is appropriate for your hardware. It is possible you have older drivers. ...btw...which device do you have??
6. After driver is installed, connect your KUSB interface and allow the device to be reconized.
If successful, the device should appear in your control panel -> system -> device manager listed as a GPIB Interface.
You should also be able to run the diagnostics that come with your card to confirm.
Finally, you should be able to run National Instruments VISA Interactive Control and see the GPIB device and instrument, if connected.
I tried all the suggestions, none worked.
I am having doubts about the compatibility with Windows 7, since I don't find any mention of it in the manuals, neither the in the hard copies I recently received nor the - manuals.
I even formatted my drive and tried to install WinXP, but Win7 is apparently very stubborn, it leaves files that make it impossible to install another version. It says - that Win7 can be downgraded, but in practice, it won't let you do it.
Has anybody been successful in installing KUSB-488 A or B with Windows 7 ?
KUSB-488B driver version 3.06 is Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 compatible
for more details the file is here: http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=52969)
KUSB-488A has a driver version 9.2 is Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 compatible
(see ReleaseNotes.htm for more details this file is zipped in with the driver here:
Suggestions for both of you:
No need to change operating systems.
Uninstall all GPIB drivers, reboot, then install the appropriate driver for your device:
For Keithley KUSB-488B, download and install latest driver: currently this is KI-488 version 3.06
For Keithley KUSB-488A, download and install latest driver: currently this is GPIB-488 version 9.2
Login in and then connect your KUSB-488B or KUSB-488A.
If the device is not automatically recognized and connected, then:
Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager
Select "Action" from the top menu.
Then select "Scan for hardware changes"....Wait for device driver to completely install.
If successful, should appear in Device Manager listed under Keithley GPIB Interface (if KUSB-488B) or GPIB Interfaces (if KUSB-488A).
If successful, connect an instrument and run the driver tests below to confirm presence of device and instrument:
If KUSB-488B, run the Keithley Instruments -> KI-488 -> KI-488 Configuration Utility (should display GPIB0 and the connected instrument's id). If this works then use KI-488 Diagnostic Tool to talk to your instrument.
If KUSB-488A, run the Keithley Instruments -> GPIB-488 -> GPIB Diagnostic (should display Board Id: GPIB0). If this works then use CEC -> TRTEST.EXE to talk to your instrument.
If you still have problems...please provide very specific details about your system:
- manufacturer/model of your computer (e.g. Dell Optiplex-740)
- operating system (e.g. win 7 x86 (32-bit) with service pack 1)
- driver that you installed (e.g. KI-488 version 3.06 (installed as NI compatible) or GPIB-488 version 9.2)
- type of usb-to-gpib interface you are attempting to connect (e.g. KUSB-488B or KUSB-488A)
- VID and PID of your device (listed in control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> (your usb device) -> properties -> details -> matching device ID)
- Company/Version of the following file c:\windows\system32\gpib-32.dll (e.g. Keithley Instruments, Inc., version 1.4.7
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest