Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Keithley 6430 Setup for CNT measurement

rlmuhlbauer

Keithley 6430 Setup for CNT measurement

Post by rlmuhlbauer » November 9th, 2011, 11:58 am

Hello-

I am trying to figure out how to setup the Keithley 6430 to do resistance measurements without the aid of any program, just the device itself, but I can't seem to get it to work. I was wondering if there was a step by step process to set up the Keithley such that I can read the resistance off the device itself?

Thanks,
Rachel

Nathan S
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Keithley 6430 Setup for CNT measurement

Post by Nathan S » November 9th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Rachel,

For a CNT resistance measurement (that I assume is low resistance), I suggest using a 4wire connection and offset-compensated Ohms. Section 4 of the 6430 instruction manual should explain the front panel steps for this. It is available for download here: http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=1074. The offset compensated procedure eliminates Thermal EMF error that wreaks havoc with low R measurements. Figure 2-3 shows a connection diagram diagram for four-wire sense connections.

rlmuhlbauer

Post by rlmuhlbauer » November 9th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » November 14th, 2011, 1:30 pm

The Model 6430 is similar to the Model 2400. It is a source meter.
The only major differences are the connections and the sensitivity.
The connections are the TRIAX on the preamp.
Use the inner conductor and the outer shield for HI and low connections. Most of the time people connect up the inner conductor and the inner shield. That would be wrong. Connect the inner conductor to one side of the resistor and the outer shield to the other side of the resistor.
Now go to the link below and it will show you a short video of how to set up the 2400 to make resistance measurements.
http://www.keithley.com/centralized_dis ... etid=55925

Return to “Nanotechnology Measurements”