Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

How to measure nanowire FETs characterization

Donald

How to measure nanowire FETs characterization

Post by Donald » March 19th, 2011, 2:06 am

Dear Keithley engineers,
I am correctly a student at institute in Taiwan. I want to ask a question to you.

There are two electrometers (Keithley 6517B and 6430) in our lab. In the past several years, these meters were utilized to measure nanomaterials device, individually. Recently, we want to combine these two meters to get nanowire FETs characterizations. [In your offical website, the achievements of Nobel Winners (2010) in Physics used Keithely instrumentation is used to promote your products. This group also use mutil-meters to investigate nanodevices] However, we observed that our nanodevices were often melted after connecting these two meters, even nV applied. Actually, we didn't understand the real reason. So I drew the configuration of our setup, as shown in the attached file, could you tell kindly me whether it is right or not.

By the way, if I would like to link the preamp of K6430(how to connect red, green, and black banana in the correct circuit?), what setup is correct?

Best Regards

Donald
Attachments
FETs configuration.pdf
our setup (maybe it is not correct?!)
(194.13 KiB) Downloaded 1380 times
Last edited by Donald on March 22nd, 2011, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrea C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: How to measure nanowire FETs characterization

Post by Andrea C » March 22nd, 2011, 5:18 am

Hi Donald,

I reviewed your diagram.
For the 6430, you are not indicating that the pre-amp is in use at all, but that you are connecting directly to the back of the instrument. In order to use the low current capabilities of the 6430, you do need to use the remote pre-amp.
If you are using the small triax to alligator cable that ships with the 6430, use the red and green (Lo). The black is the guard.

And then for the gate, your diagram shows you are using the V source of the 6517B electrometer, but are not using the current measurement capability of the electrometer at all. Is that your intent?

What are the ranges/values of Vgate and Vds that you desire to apply?
If using the 6430 to sweep a Vds, what current compliance level do you set?

Andrea

Donald

Re: How to measure nanowire FETs characterization

Post by Donald » March 22nd, 2011, 8:01 am

Dear Andrea,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we don't consider to measure the leakage current from our substrate by utilizing K-6517B. We will adopt your excellent suggestion.

If using preamp of K-6430 (without guard function), we just connect the red and green alligators to Vsource HI and LO, respectively, is it all right? Should we define an extra ''GROUND'' in this circuit?

Generally speaking, we would like to apply Vgate, varied from +/- 50 V (using K-6517B), to sweep Vsd (+/-15 V), and to measure Isd (~ nA or ~10 nA range), simultaneously (using K-6430). The current compliance is always set to be 20 nA range. By the way, as we employ K-6430 to measure I-V curves of our devices, we often encounter that the compliance flashes, even our signals showing below the set compliance value. Could you tell me the reason?

Best,
Donald

Return to “Nanotechnology Measurements”