Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Four point probe conductivity

prix27

Four point probe conductivity

Post by prix27 » February 5th, 2013, 7:25 pm

I am new to this field of electrical measurements and my question may sound amateurish but your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

I have got a micron thick polymer sample with some kind of irregular shape. I mean with each sample the shape is being changed little bit as the shape is not in my control. I am measuring the resistance in MOhms using keithley sourcemeter with four point probe.

Now my question is how to convert this resistance that I have got from Keithley sourcemeter into conductivity and resistivity. As the shape is random and irregular for my different samples,is it right for me to compare the conductivities of different sample.
Your help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Four point probe conductivity

Post by Dale C » February 6th, 2013, 12:41 pm

1. In general if you want to measure resistivity of an irregular shape sample then you would use Van der Pauw method.
Look at the description of the Van Der Pauw method in the manual at the following link.
http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=1118

2. Bulk resistivity is measured through the sample. And surface is measured across the sample.
If you have a four point colinear probe then you are measuring surface resistance.
If you have the probes connected on top of the sample and the bottom of the sample then it is volume resistivity.

Return to “Nanotechnology Measurements”