Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Testing a ultracapacitor using Keithley 2400

anjutoor

Testing a ultracapacitor using Keithley 2400

Post by anjutoor » December 5th, 2013, 11:35 am

I am wondering if we can use the labtracer software to test an ultracapacitor using Keithley 2400. If yes, how can we do so? Also, How can we connect the Keithley instrument with the computer?

Kenneth P
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Testing a ultracapacitor using Keithley 2400

Post by Kenneth P » December 5th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Hello,

Capacitors are tricky. The system specification for the 2400 load capacitance is 20 nF however they can drive much higher capacitances. This is especially true when using the high current ranges of the meter. Bascially, the sourcemeter will source a voltage or current and adjust until the voltage or current level programmed is achieved. The 2400 uses feedback to determine if the level is acheived and adjust accordingly. This can cause situations where an oscillation condition can occur. That being said, I've seen cases where the 2400 and 2600 have successfully sourced ultracapacitors however I cannot guarantee proper operation. You didn't note what type of capacitance measurements you are interested in performing. My assumption is that leakage is probably the most likely measurement.
As for LabTracer software, you will need a GPIB adapter for the communication connection to the computer. Keithley offers the KUSB-488B, USB-GPIB adapter. The key is that your computer mush have a GPIB interface to communicate with the 2400. LabTracer does not have a serial connection capability.
You can consider the 2450 Sourcemeter in this case. You can use Kickstart software that is provided with the 2450 and it can operate using the USB connection.

anjutoor

Re: Testing a ultracapacitor using Keithley 2400

Post by anjutoor » December 19th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am using Labview with GPIB-USB interface for communicating with the Keithley 2400. I am interested in measuring the charge/discharge curves and dielectric breakdown strength. I have done charge/discharge measurements. I would appreciate if you can explain how the breakdown strength can be measured.

Return to “Nanotechnology Measurements”