Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

High resistance measurement with 4 point probe - Keithley 2400

Duyen Tran

High resistance measurement with 4 point probe - Keithley 2400

Post by Duyen Tran » August 14th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Hi,

I am trying to measure resistance of polymeric thin film coated on top of glass substrate using 4 point probe setup and a Keithley 2400 model as SMU. The polymeric thin film resistance is relatively high (~ MOhm --> GOhm). Firstly, I tried auto source but keep overflowing. Then, I switched to manual source to adjust source current; however, the R values started out as GOhm and slowly decrease to MOhm without leveling off.
I also tried measuring a 1GOhm and 3 GOhm resistors and obtained their correct values.

Ideally, 2 point probe would work better for high resistance and low current sample, but I would like to stay with the 4 point probe set up since the contact resistance is relatively large in this case. Therefore, my question is what can I tweak/adjust in this setup to arrive at a stable/reliable reading?

Thank you!

--Duyen

Kiriakos

Re: High resistance measurement with 4 point probe - Keithley 2400

Post by Kiriakos » September 9th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I would never try insulation measurement of unknown material over another unknown material regarding it own insulation properties.

TimOster

Re: High resistance measurement with 4 point probe - Keithley 2400

Post by TimOster » September 10th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning for using a 4-wire resistance measurement. 4-wire measurements are used to eliminate the test lead resistance from your measurement, but in cases of G-ohm readings the leads are insignificant to the resistance you are trying to read.

Return to “Resistivity Measurements”