Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

NI-MAX don't show the gpib instrument

mohammad.rasti

NI-MAX don't show the gpib instrument

Post by mohammad.rasti » April 17th, 2015, 8:38 am

Hi,
I have installed labview 2014 and NI-Visa2014 then i have installed keithley 6221 driver and kusb-488b driver (version 3.12). When using labview the gpib don't recognized by NI-max under device and interface while the windows(7-64bit) device manager shows the driver. also visa interactive control recognize the gpib0::12::instr and works properly but when i use labview, the gpib not shown in ni-max>device and interface.even installing ni-488.2, not only solved this problem but also ki6221.exe and KI-488 configuration utility don't work and visa interactive control also don't show the gpib0::12::instr.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: NI-MAX don't show the gpib instrument

Post by Dale C » April 17th, 2015, 8:43 am

The driver for KUSB-488B will not show up in NI-MAX. This is normal.
if the KUSB-488B driver is installed, then I suggest you use the KI-488 Diagnostic Tool to verify it is working.
You will find KI-488 Diagnostic Tool in
START, all programs, Keithley Instruments, KI-488.
Launch KI-488 diagnostic tool.
Click on INITIALIZE KI-488 GPIB.
Address should be 21. Click OK.
Set the address to 12 for 6221.
enter in *IDN? in the GPIB COMMAND STRING field.
Click SEND.
Then click ENTER.
The GPIB Received Message should have something like
Keithley Model 6221, S/n 123456

if that is the case then it is working.
You can use it in Labview with the KUSB-488B.

mohammad.rasti

Post by mohammad.rasti » April 17th, 2015, 9:24 am

Thanks Dale C,
OK, i have done these jobs and every thing is good and the the model 6221 is shown in ki-488 diagnostic tool receive box but in labview software when i try to use visa read and write, i use the command *IDN? for identifying the model, the response is this error: "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."ultimately my aim is to read voltage from 2182a nano voltmeter which is communicated with 6221 current source and read temperature from another temperature controller by labview for superconductivity measurement. this temperature controller works good and only my problem is reading voltage by labview.

Joseph V
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Joseph V » April 17th, 2015, 9:52 am

Is your labview and NI-Visa 64-bit or 32-bit versions?

If they are 64 bit version then it will not work as NI only supports their GPIB cards in the 64-bit world. I'd suggest downloading the 32-bit versions.

Return to “LabView Drivers”