Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Problem Open Instrument TSB

Use this forum for questions about Keithley Test Script Builder software.
Abel Santos

Problem Open Instrument TSB

Post by Abel Santos » June 13th, 2014, 7:30 am

Hello,
I was wondering if I could get some good advice from you. Recently, I purchased a refurbished K2612 for my experiments. So far, I have not been able to open the instrument in TSB although I can communicate with it via GPIB in NI-Max. I have experience with a K2611A and developed software for it. So, I am quite confuse about the reason of that problem, which seems to be related with TSB.

For your information, this is the error I get when I try to open the instrument in TSB:

Failed to open instrument.
VISA reports:
Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.
KeithleyRemoteIO.VISAException: Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.
at KeithleyRemoteIO.TspVisaInstrument.ThrowIfError(Int32 result, String location)
at KeithleyRemoteIO.TspVisaInstrument.OpenVisaSession(String resourceName, StringDictionary optionStrings)
at KeithleyRemoteIO.TspVisaInstrument.Start(String resourceName, StringDictionary optionStrings)
at KeithleyRemoteIO.TspVisa.Initialize(String resourceName, Boolean idQuery, Boolean reset, StringDictionary optionStrings)
at KeithleyTSPLib.TspClassDriver.Initialize(String ResourceName, Boolean IdQuery, Boolean Reset, String OptionString)
at KeithleyTSPLib.KeithleyTSP.Initialize(String ResourceName, Boolean IdQuery, Boolean Reset, String OptionString)
at com.keithley.KeithleyTSPLib.KeithleyTSP.Java_com_keithley_KeithleyTSPLib_KeithleyTSP_Initialize(IntPtr pEnv, IntPtr pObj1, IntPtr pStr2, Boolean arg3, Boolean arg4, IntPtr pStr5)

More information, I have installed:

* TestScriptBuilder = KTS-850F01
* Keithley I/O Layer = KIOL-850C06

I can use Labview to control that power supply. However, I would like to know exacly why I am getting that error in TSB.

Any advise from you guys is really appreciated.

Many thanks for your help and best wishes,
Abel

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Re: Problem Open Instrument TSB

Post by Stuart M » June 13th, 2014, 10:33 am

When you press the Open Instrument button in TSB it requires a valid VISA resource to be entered into the Select or Enter New Instrument field (for example GPIB0::26::INSTR).

What visa resource did you enter into this field?

Since TSB uses VISA to communicate do you also see this VISA recource listed in NI VISA Interactive control when you open it and can you talk to it?

(Also, the Model 2612 instrument should also be at firmware version 1.4 or higher).

Abel Santos

Post by Abel Santos » June 14th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Hi Stuart,

First of all, thank you very much for your quick reply.

I know, the VISA resource is correct. The GPIB address of the instrument is 26 and, yes, I select GPIB0::26::INSTR in the Open Instrument button. So, I would say that is not the problem.

Yes, I can communicate with the instrument by NI MAX. In fact, I can send commands to that address and control the instrument by Labview.

I will check the firmware of the instrument tomorrow and will come back to you with the result.

Many thanks for your kind help.

Have a great one,

Abel

Abel Santos

Post by Abel Santos » June 15th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Hi Stuart,

The firmware of the instrument is version 1.4.2.

Cheers,
Abel

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » June 16th, 2014, 7:41 am

NI Max is a good start as this confirms your GPIB driver is healthy, but this alone isn't enough to guarantee a proper connection to the instrument. TSB uses VISA to talk, so next we need to verify the connection to NI VISA.

Open National Instruments -> VISA -> VISA Interactive control and see if your instrument is listed.
If yes, then double click on the resource and click on the Input/Output button and then press the Query button and see if the Model 2612 answers the *IDN? query. If not, check your NI VISA Passports in NI Max (listed under Software -> NI-VISA -> VISA Options tab) and ensure that the NI-VISA Passport for GPIB is marked ON.

Abel Santos

Post by Abel Santos » June 18th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Hi Stuart,

I followed your advice and these are the results:

1 - I checked the instrument in the VISA Interactive Control and it appears as "Unknown > GPIB::0::INTFC".

2 - I activated the passports (all) in NI-MAX > Software > NI-VISA 5.3 > My System > General Settings > Passports. Nevertheless, nothing changed in the VISA Interactive Control (I get the same result in TSB). I have seen that all the passports are in 32-bit and my OS is W7 64-bit. Do you think that could be the problem?

Many thanks for your very kind help and best wishes,

Abel

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » June 19th, 2014, 6:03 am

When you opened VISA Interactive Control it is a good sign that under GPIB Misc. Resources you saw the interface card:
GPIB0::INTFC

But, your instrument should also have been listed under the GPIB Instrument Resources:
GPIB0::26::INSTR

Until this appears, you won't be taking with VISA or TSB.
Not sure why only the card is showing up...
What instruments are connected to this card?
Double check that you can still talk and sense this instrument with NI Max, then go back to VISA Interactive control and recheck whether it appears in the listing...

Also, what is the exact model GPIB interface you have installed?
And what version of GPIB driver is installed for this card?

Return to “Test Script Builder”