Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Could sourcemeter be controlled externally ?

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
Kanu04

Could sourcemeter be controlled externally ?

Post by Kanu04 » January 10th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Hi All,

We are basically performing an experiment where sourcemeter is measures the current of digital output of DUT. Our requirement is to measure the current at the triggering edge of clock of the device. So I was wondering if it is possible to set a clock for the device ?

Thanks,
Kanu

Tom Sw
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Could sourcemeter be controlled externally ?

Post by Tom Sw » January 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Yes, you can use an external trigger. You'll want to take a look at chapter 11 of the manual which covers triggering.

Kanu04

Post by Kanu04 » January 11th, 2011, 8:58 am

Hi Tom,

I went through the 11th chapter. What I understand is that there is a trigger needed for all the three actions, namely, source , delay and measure. According to our requirements, we have to source the DUT continuously and measure the output current after regular intervals (which I think can be set specifying the delay). So I got an impression that Immediate mode should be a right one, as there is no trigger required for SDM. I just wanted to confirm if sourcing will be continuous in this mode.

Regards,
Kanu

Tom Sw
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Tom Sw » January 11th, 2011, 9:55 am

Hello Kanu,

Your understanding is not quite right.

If you look at the image of the remote trigger model on page 11-12 you see there are inputs for the Arm-In event (Arm Layer) and Trigger-In Source (Trigger Layer). These Events can be set to a variety of things as shown. Immediate and TLink are included in this list. Immediate means the trigger model will not wait for any action. TLink means it will wait for an external trigger signal from the Trigger Link connector.

The Source, Delay, and Sense triggers I believe you are referring to are the output triggers you can select. You can only select one of them at a time and they will cause the 2400 to generate an output trigger at that point which can be used by another piece of instrumentation for instance.

The SMU will perform whatever Source Action is specified and yes, it will remain in that state until instructed otherwise.

Kanu04

Post by Kanu04 » January 12th, 2011, 10:39 am

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I have one more question. Which type of connector will I need if I have to send triggering clock input to sourcemeter from a PC ?

Regards,
Kanu

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » January 18th, 2011, 6:18 am

The Model 2400 can accept a hardware trigger on one of two connectors on the rear panel.
1. Trigger Link connector. This is an 8 pin din connector. Pins 1 through 4 are programmable for triggers
2. Digital I/O connector. This is a standard 9 pin sub connector. Pin 6 is the trigger input pin.

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”