Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Labview 2011 GPIB problem

leboran

Labview 2011 GPIB problem

Post by leboran » January 5th, 2012, 10:19 am

I've been using Labview 2009 and some source meters and other instruments of keithley, and all seems to work fine.

I've installed the labview 2011 in a new computer with a new Keithley 3A488-LPCI gpib card and now I've a problem with the visa communication with the same instruments. I've tested some "exe" files compiled with the 2009 version and they work fine at this same computer.

If I open in labview 2010 the NI VISA interactive control application I see something like this:
Computer
--- GPIB0 (Unknown GPIB board)
---------------- GPIB0::INTFC
---------------- GPIB0::7::INSTR
--- PXI0 ...
---------------- PXI0::MEMACC

If I make a double click on the gpib 7 instrument I can see the vi_write and read options and I can send commands to the instrument (*IDN?), in this case the keithley 2400 source meter and it answers with the correct information (Keithley....) So all the connections are fine, is it possible that the error cames from this unknown GPIB board message ?.

When I run any project compiled with the 2009 version, they works fine too. But it does not work with the 2011 version, I click on the refresh option of the VISA combos to see the VISA detected devices, no one appears inside, like in the 2009 combos, so the refresh function does not work. The mex explorer does not show the gpib card, is that the problem ?

So, what should be the next step to check the problem ?

Thanks in advance ...

Victor

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Re: Labview 2011 GPIB problem

Post by Stuart M » January 5th, 2012, 1:03 pm

What OS are you using?
Is this LabVIEW 2011 32-bit or 64-bit?
What is the installed version of your GPIB driver?

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » January 6th, 2012, 9:17 am

Also, what is the model of your gpib card...is it a pci card KPCI-488LPA or is it a usb-gpib interface?

Ankush

Post by Ankush » July 9th, 2014, 4:51 am

I am using Labview 2011 with keithley KUSB - 488A GPIB connected to the system. I have downloaded and installed the driver for keithley KUSB - 488A USB to GPIB connecter from keithley official web site. But after that when i have actually connected KUSB - 488A to my the USB slot of the Computer is it showing unknown device when i have seen in device manager ( Operating system - Windows 7 ultimate version). Along with this when i have downloaded the driver software it was looking for KUSB-488B and KPCI-488LPA/KPCI-488LP and not simply for KUSB - 488 A. So how can i fix the problem of unknown device and where i can get the exact driver software for KUSB - 488A.

Stuart M
Keithley
Keithley

Post by Stuart M » July 9th, 2014, 7:05 am

Ankush,

What OS are you using? (windows 7 or 8? 32-bit or 64-bit?)
Is this LabVIEW 2011 32-bit or 64-bit?

I would recommend that you uninstall the KUSB-488B (KI-488) driver and then install the KUSB-488A driver. Here is the link to the driver:
http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=53029

After installing the driver you need to run TRTEST to see if the driver can communicate with your instrument.
Then, if that works run NI VISA Interactive control and attempt to communicate with the instrument.
If all that works, then try LabVIEW again.

(in the future please enter a new forum topic, as you have joined another Customer's topic here and although your problems appear similar, the solution to each may not be the same, and will confuse all involved)

Return to “LabView Drivers”