Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Output connections

2302, 2303, 2303-PJ, 2304, 2306, 2306-PJ, 2306-VS, 2308
jvincent

Output connections

Post by jvincent » August 30th, 2010, 11:34 am

What happens if the sense lines are not connected at the unit for local sense or what if
they are not connected at the device for remote sense?

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Output connections

Post by Dale C » August 31st, 2010, 6:06 am

The Sense+ and Sense- pins provide output voltage
sensing. Without these terminals connected, the power supply operates without voltage feedback
and therefore supplies an unregulated voltage. This unregulated voltage value can be up to +18 V
or down to -5 V. Use voltage protection to turn off the output and protect against the extremes.
It is always recommended to connect the sense lines, either for local or remote operation.

narayanak

Post by narayanak » February 23rd, 2011, 3:32 pm

Quick question. If I use local sense, can I use a scope to measure the current on the Quick DIsconnect connector, or is it only possible witth remote sense (Ref page 2-3 of Section 2: Basic Power Supply Operation Model 2308 Portable Device Battery/Charger Simulator User’s Manual).
BTW what should be my channel settings on the OScope.

Thx
Narayan

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » February 24th, 2011, 6:35 am

Remember if you use LOCAL SENSE then tie the +sense and - sense lines to the +SOURCE and - SOURCE at the rear of the supply.
But when you do this be sure you are in LOCAL SENSE.
As far as the scope settings it depends on what you want to look at.
Most applications are looking for the response time of the 2308 when a battery is put under a severe load.
This is about 570usec. So I would set the horizontal sweep to a maximum of 200usec. This way you would see the 570 usec wave over a few divisions.
The vertical setting should be enough so the wave on on the screen, maybe 2V per division?

narayanak

Post by narayanak » February 24th, 2011, 8:30 am

Thanks. I am new to this instrument so I wanted to bother you to get some more info :D
1) What is the difference or advantage/disadvantage of using LOCAL sense vis-a vis REMOTE sense.
2) I have an application in which I use the 2308 as a battery source. My device sleeps at an almost constant current but periodically the device draws a pluse of current. I wanted to use the scope to be able to measure this. Is this possible?
Thx

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » February 24th, 2011, 9:03 am

The advantage of remote sense over local sense is the measurement.
With local sense the measurement is at the terminals on the unit.
With remote sense the measurement is at the device. This eliminates any test lead resistance in the measurement.
Yes, you can use this to measure the pulse of current. The scope should be able to capture this.
The trick is to get the trigger of the pulse current timed to the scope taking data.

narayanak

Post by narayanak » February 24th, 2011, 9:27 am

Thx.

narayanak

Post by narayanak » February 24th, 2011, 9:58 am

Can I "add" battery capacities? Let me explain with an example. Assuming my device draws 0.15mA for 3 minutes and 30mA for 1 minute.

If I draw a current v/s time curve, it will look like two rectangles. The I*t product of the rectangle with current of .15mA is 0.15*3 (milliAmp Minutes) and the the second rectangle area is 30*1 (milliamp minutes).

Is it safe to say that over the period of 4 minutes the device uses up (for lack of better word "capacity") of (0.15 * 3) + (30 * 1) milliAmp minutes?

Return to “Series 2300”