Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Please make new driver for 6517B

dubuisgu

Please make new driver for 6517B

Post by dubuisgu » October 27th, 2015, 4:39 pm

I know there is a very old laview 6 driver for this instrument, but it is not in a usable state. Working with strings for GPIB constants is not an option when all more modern drivers have a much more clean and direct access to the GPIB.
It would be important that Keithley would invest some time to get us a new Labview 2015 Project Style driver for this instrument.
You have experience in building excellent drivers, such as the one for the 2000 or 24XX.
Since the 6517B instrument is still sold, and widely used, it would be very useful for you customers if you could take the time and prepare a more up to date driver for this otherwise excellent instrument.

As of now, I have resigned myself to write my own driver for this instrument, but this is a large loss of time, and I will not make it as good as you engineers can do it.

Jennifer C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Please make new driver for 6517B

Post by Jennifer C » October 28th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Hi dubuisgu,

Please be aware that NI has an updated LabVIEW driver for the Model 6517B posted on their Instrument Driver Network. You can access that driver here:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_d ... 0020E74861

I hope this helps!

Jennifer

dubuisgu

Post by dubuisgu » October 28th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the fast response, but this does not help!

This driver can be opened by more recent labview versions, but it is still a very old driver that does not respect modern Labview driver layout.
As is, it is just unusable when working in a setup with other Keithley instruments that have more modern, project style drivers.

It is like opening a web-page from the 90s. It will still open, but I will not trust a company that has not bothered to bring their web-page into the 21st century. Your driver for this instrument is a time machine. :-)

Please discuss this issue with a Labview engineer that can show you the pros and cons of developing a new driver for this instrument

Jennifer C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Jennifer C » October 30th, 2015, 8:19 am

Hi dubuisgu,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I had not taken a look at the driver, but just noticed that a Labview 2015 version was available. We will definitely look into updating our Labview Drivers.

Regards,

Jennifer

MWijnen

Post by MWijnen » February 10th, 2016, 9:05 am

Hi,

I'm also interested in up-to-date labview drivers. Has there been any progress?

Kind regards,

Mick

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Dale C » February 10th, 2016, 11:27 am

Yes, A driver for the 6517B has been written and is now in the testing stage.
Should be ready soon.

Jennifer C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Post by Jennifer C » March 15th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Hello All,

A new driver is now available for the Model 6517B. It is available from NI's instrument driver network site. You should be able to find it within Labview using the Instrument Driver Finder. You can download the driver here:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_d ... E2BA35FCF0

Jennifer C

Return to “LabView Drivers”