Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

AWG70k Imported Waveform Data in Sequences

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor or guarantee responses in this area.
berestes

AWG70k Imported Waveform Data in Sequences

Post by berestes » March 24th, 2015, 8:20 am

Hello,

I am attempting to generate a long waveform using the sequencer. The initial idea was to generate a sequence file and a file containing the individual waveform component set used by the sequence in MATLAB (e.g. pulse1, pulse2, blank).

The segments collection is generated successfully and imports into the waveform list. I tried making a .CSV file according to "Using the Sequencer on Tektronix AWG 70000A Series Instruments" but I cannot get the .CSV importer to actually use the pre-generated waveforms by naming them in the .CSV file. The batch sequence compiler generates its own waveforms (e.g. pulse1_1, pulse2_1 and blank_1) and stores them in the waveform list along with the already imported waveforms. I cannot tell from the wording of the document if it is actually possible to create a sequence using externally generated waveforms with the batch sequence compiler.

My .CSV track data rows look as follows:

Code: Select all

,1,,,Next,,Pulse1,90000000,45000,,,,,,
,1,,,Next,,Blank,0,899477,,,Basic Waveform,Function=Sine,Amplitude=0.0,
The first line is meant to grab a waveform already loaded into the waveform list. The second line is meant to generate some dead time. The line pairs repeat with different waveforms.

I also attempted to create a .SEQ file as described by the same document. The component waveforms were saved off as .wfmx files for this purpose but could not be found during loading of the .SEQ file giving the error 1345 ("Unable to restore the sequence and it's assets").

I found a posting in the forums on building a sequence via a remote interface: http://www1.tek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6327. This is essentially what I am trying to do but a remote interface may not be an option.

Is it possible to build an importable sequence using utilities external to the AWG? The waveforms are too complex to be synthesized by the batch sequence compiler using the function generator. Is it possible to specify in the sequence compiler .CSV that a particular waveform is to be imported from a file or from the waveform list?

Please help.

berestes

Re: AWG70k Imported Waveform Data in Sequences

Post by berestes » March 25th, 2015, 5:41 am

I found a partial solution to my own problem. The AWG will pull in .WFM files when loading .SEQ files. Generating both from MATLAB is reasonably straight-forward. This solution is not optimal in that the older sequence format doesn't provide control over all the features of the AWG70k sequences: I can't control the marker channels directly from the sequence or the set the output flags on the back of the AWG. The jump logic also seems a bit more simplistic but that's less of a concern for me.

Is documentation available on newer sequence file formats (.SEQX)? Is it possible to get the batch sequence compiler to pull pre-defined waveforms from outside files or the waveform list?

Carl M
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Carl M » March 25th, 2015, 3:03 pm

with waveform/sequence creation (the overwhelming majority of effort when operating an AWG) the proper technique is highly dependent on your application and personal preference. in an effort to see the forest through the trees, how many waveforms pulses are there? how many blanks are there? what are the typical lengths? since you seem to be familiar with MATLAB, do you have the Instrument Control Toolbox for MATLAB? marker data is stored with waveform samples making them naturally linked. where you expecting independent marker and waveform information? do your waveforms change with every test or is there some finite number?

The only quick answer I can provide is the SEQX (and AWGX) file formatting question. They do not have a published definition... not even informally.
Tektronix Application Engineer

berestes

Post by berestes » March 27th, 2015, 5:39 am

Buck, thanks for the reply.

The forest: this is a radar application. Many (order of as much as thousands) pulses, regular intervals, mainly blank space, pulses are not necessarily identical. Lengths of pulses are microseconds. I do have the instrument control box but controlling the AWG directly from MATLAB may not be an option for logistical reasons. There will be some pre-defined set of sequenced waveforms, they don't have to be set up from scratch in real-time. I know that the marker samples are stored in (roughly) the same manner as the main waveform samples and that they play in parallel but I would like to use the flags in addition to the markers because there are a lot of control lines to be set.

Carl M
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Carl M » May 4th, 2015, 1:02 pm

flags are a new feature of the AWG70k that provide a signal for sequence events and (unlike markers) are independent of sample data. i haven't had a chance to use them yet. if you don't mind the latent replies, i'll post some workflow notes here after some experimentation in my lab. if you need immediate assistance, contact Tektronix Technical Support directly (http://www1.tek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=615).
Tektronix Application Engineer

Return to “Older and Obsolete Signal Sources”