Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

TekScope Utility Support

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

TekScope Utility Support

Post by Dave W » May 8th, 2018, 9:46 am

This is the official location for support requests for TekScope Utility.

Please post your requests in this thread only.

RWong2000

Re: TekScope Utility Support

Post by RWong2000 » October 8th, 2018, 9:32 am

Hi Dave,

very useful utility, which I am using to save a hardcopy of the Screen Capture to my PC (or networked drive).

Just a thought, but it would be nice if the 'Select Instrument' panel had some 'helpful' examples of what to type in the 'VISA Resources Address' box for those that forget the format required?
For example, I was using a MSO54 via TCPIP and couldn't remember what the string format was. However, I did notice that the EScope view kindly had the string that needed to be entered. I guess the same would apply for GPIB

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » October 8th, 2018, 9:54 am

Hi RWonn2000,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have added a tool-tip bubble which pops up when you hover your mouse over the VISA Resource Address field with your suggestion.

There is now a new version of the utility available for download over at the TekScope Utility thread. viewtopic.php?t=140451

gone4fishn

Post by gone4fishn » November 13th, 2018, 12:06 pm

i have been trying to use LabView to save a screen copy, using 'hardcopy'... i get an error 'timeout' when writing the file (set time for 40sec)
it works fine with 'tekScope utility' i would like to save the screen and setup when i save the data (i can save data ok)
are you using Labview?
any suggestions?
thanks 8-)

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » November 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Hi gone4fishin. What model scope are you using and what interface. Timeout is usually a problem with transferring hard copies over RS-232 due to the slow data rates and large file size. TekScope Utility transfers hard copies over RS-232 by performing multiple reads in a loop until all bytes are read. Each read only transfers about 256 bytes at a time.

An as for is TekScope Utility using LabVIEW, the answer is no. It is written in C# targeting the .NET framework 4.6 and uses the generic IVI VISA.NET API for interacting with VISA.

gone4fishn

Post by gone4fishn » November 14th, 2018, 7:39 am

Hello Dave, thanks for reply. The 'tekScope Utility' works fine capturing the screen and setup from a MSO58LP scope.
i am just having a timeout error doing this with LabView16.
thanks

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » November 14th, 2018, 10:07 am

OK, for series 5 MSO scopes the HARDCopy command will not return the screenshot data. To grab screenshots from the 5 Series you will want to use :SAVE:IMAGE <filename> to save the screenshot to the scope's hard drive, then query *OPC? so you know when it has finished. After that you will want to use FILESystem:READFile <filename> to transfer the screenshot.

Hope this helps!

AMazConti

Post by AMazConti » June 4th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Looks like it's been a while since anyone commented on here. We recently received a Tektronix MSO58 scope to demo (although we are looking to possibly purchase the newer 4 series version). In our test lab, we take A LOT of screen captures to verify waveforms that go into test reports. Our older Tektronix scopes all use OpenChoice Desktop to save screen captures to our network, which we use quite often and works quite well for us. We were disappointed to learn that it does not work with the newer scopes and also that there is no supported software to allow us to do this.

We were referred to your TekScope Utility. We were able to get it to work by connecting and saving a Hard Copy but unfortunately, the screen capture was difficult to view, therefore insufficient for our needs. With the Graticule set to Grid, the Grid itself was very difficult to see on the inverted (white) background. Upon changing the Graticule to Full on the scope, the Full grid was not visible at all on the inverted background. It looks like the grid colors are not inverted therefore not visible (or very difficult to see) on the inverted white background.

Is this something that can be fixed? Is it possible to add screen capture settings for how/which the grid/display window/menus show when the Hard Copy is saved? Thanks.

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » June 4th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Hmm... I will need to get in front of an MSO5 and checkout what you are seeing.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, are you using the scope with the colors set to inverted? If so, are you saying that the grid is perfectly visible when you are using the scope, but in the saved image the grid is not so visible?
TekScope Utility does not manipulate the images generated by the scope so based on your description it sounds like the image the scope is producing is not very good. If you try saving a screenshot to a thumb drive on the scope itself, is the image still hard to view? The image the scope saves should look exactly like the screen looks when you are using it live. They really shouldn't differ.

sbarrett5432

Post by sbarrett5432 » June 11th, 2019, 6:55 am

Trying to connect my DPO 4104 scope to this application and I get the following timeout error:

"Communication with the instrument timed out while waiting for the instrument to respond to a command. Please ensure your instrument has the latest firmware installed and try again"

The software is recognizing the visa address but cannot communicate to it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » June 11th, 2019, 8:51 am

Do you have the latest firmware on your scope? The DPO4K series has had several commands added to its command set since launch and TekScope Utility makes use of some of these commands. Make sure your firmware it up to date.

If you still have timeout issues, can you capture an IO Trace and attach it to your reply so I can see what command is giving it trouble?

sbarrett5432

Post by sbarrett5432 » June 11th, 2019, 11:28 am

Firmware was updated and works good. However my scope only allows 10 MS to be output which is only 0.002 seconds of sample time. Is there a way for me to log this data every 0.002 seconds so that I can get a 0.5 second or 1 second long signal?

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » June 11th, 2019, 12:24 pm

No there is not. While the scope can fill up a 10M record length (about 10 MB of data, 8-bit per sample * 10M samples) in only 2ms, it can only offload that data to a PC at maybe 10-30 MB/s plus add in the overhead of fetching the scaling factors to turn that data into floating point voltage values and very quickly you end up in a situation were you can only capture and save a waveform of that size once but maybe every 1-3 seconds (I haven't measured exactly).

As for the timeout issue you are having, when do you receive this timeout? What did you do in the application before the timeout occurred? What remote interface did you use? If you have an IO Trace file of the instrument communications that would help greatly.

Suyashlahoti

Post by Suyashlahoti » July 20th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I have been recently using the Tekscope utility software for some data acquisition. I'm using a sine sweep function from a signal generator and after it passing through a beam into an oscilloscope.
Somehow the acquired data limits itself to 23 files when i use the analog waveform function. For the Save on menu , im using time interval of 1 second (trigger is not checked) and im stopping it after 3 minutes. So i think there should be 180 files (1 second save option and recording for 3 minutes).
Is there something im not doing right, i'm not quite sure.
Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
Setting Image.docx
(52.19 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » July 22nd, 2019, 10:02 am

Hi Suyashlahoti,

TekScope Utility will try it's best to gather the data once every second, but ultimately the maximum speed it can go depends on how quickly the scope you are using responds to commands and transfers data. I see in your screenshot that you are using a TBS 1154 and are transferring hard copies, analog waveforms and measurements. On this scope, the speed you are seeing does not surprise me. It's a good scope, but it's not the speediest.

To get a feel for how long the transfers take on this scope, go to each tab (hard copy, waveform, measurements) and do the transfer manually and see how long it takes. That will give you an idea of how quickly your scope can possibly go for each transfer type and it will not go any faster.

timfahringer

Post by timfahringer » October 23rd, 2019, 11:50 am

Hi Dave,

I just tried using your utility for data logging on a DPO7354 oscilloscope over ethernet. We are trying to record 20,000,000 samples on 4 channels (a lot of data) every 12 seconds. Setting up the ui to acquire this data was very easy and it provides a much need functionality that the scope does not have. And from what I can tell the utility can fetch the data in the allotted time; however, it takes a long time to save the .csv file (1 minute, 770 MB file), which causes the o-scope to miss triggers within that minute. Would adding a binary save format as an option fix this? Or is the problem something else.

Thanks!
Tim

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » October 23rd, 2019, 3:37 pm

Hi Tim,

Yes, 20M points is a lot to save into a .CSV file format and takes considerable amount of time. Especially when it is 4 channels worth! The time it takes to save to .CSV is one of the reasons why I intentionally limited the max record length that could be transferred to 20M points.

Saving to a binary format would definitely make the process faster as there would be no binary to text format conversion (which takes a lot more CPU time than you might think) and there would be a lot fewer bytes to write to disk.

I definitely would like to add the capability to save to a binary format to TekScope Utility, ideally saving to the Tek .wfm format. However, doing it in a manner that works with all models of scope supported by TekScope Utility is not trivial. I will keep it as high priority on the new features list.

Best regards,

Dave W

Patrick_Huang

Post by Patrick_Huang » November 27th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Hi Dave,
My goal is to use the data logger to get measurement from the scope and save it in excel file.
My setting of the logger is attached. I also attached a results from the logger.

I am not sure why all logged data are same.
Attachments
DataLog_Measurements_20191127_151947 - Excel.png
screen capture of logged data
DataLog_Measurements_20191127_151947 - Excel.png (15.67 KiB) Viewed 29 times
DataLog_Measurements_20191127_152603.csv
sample logged file
(363 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
tekscopeUtilitySetting.png
Utility setting
tekscopeUtilitySetting.png (113.34 KiB) Viewed 29 times

Patrick_Huang

Post by Patrick_Huang » November 28th, 2019, 11:10 am

Attached please find each single measurement received from the scope.
I am expecting the Value in Measurement will be found in the EXCEL file I reported previously.
Attachments
2019-11-28 14_05_44-TekScope Utility.png
2019-11-28 14_05_44-TekScope Utility.png (24.61 KiB) Viewed 24 times
2019-11-28 14_05_27-TekScope Utility.png
2019-11-28 14_05_27-TekScope Utility.png (16.33 KiB) Viewed 24 times
2019-11-28 14_05_08-TekScope Utility.png
2019-11-28 14_05_08-TekScope Utility.png (37.04 KiB) Viewed 24 times

Dave W
Tektronix Applications
Tektronix Applications

Post by Dave W » December 2nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

Hi Patrick,

The issue is your fetch delay setting. You have unchecked Auto and are using 200ms. On the DPO2002B 200ms of fetch delay is not enough delay for the scope to finish processing the acquisition, calculate the measurement values, update the values on screen and make them available for retrieval through the remote interface. When you use the Auto fetch delay setting, the data logger waits 1000ms before fetching the data. For this model of scope it litteraly takes that long. You can experiment with smaller settings, but I don't expect you'll be able to reduce the delay much below 1000ms and still have reliable data retrieval.

Return to “Programming Support”