Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Prism 3001, probably MPX - Identification, Probes

TLA 6400, TLA7000 Series Logic Analyzers
nonvolatile

Prism 3001, probably MPX - Identification, Probes

Post by nonvolatile » June 28th, 2012, 6:52 am

Hello,
I've got a Tektronix Prism 3001 here. The acquisition board has a sticker that says 'B010249 MPX' so I assume its the 30MPX acquisition board - is that right?
On the outside the board has two sockets where this plug could be plugged in: http://i.imgur.com/ruqoa.jpg (There is a small pinheader as well between them).
Id like to know which probe module can be used with this board. The plug in the image is from a P6480 module, can that be used? Are there more modules suitable for this device?
The 3001 seems to be in great condition, it boots from the internal hard disk and passes all tests so Id like to use it :)
I will scan the acquisition board and post images later...
Thank you for your time and help
David

nonvolatile

Re: Prism 3001, probably MPX - Identification, Probes

Post by nonvolatile » June 28th, 2012, 8:18 am

http://i.imgur.com/ph1Hm.jpg This is the scan I talked about earlier.

nonvolatile

Post by nonvolatile » July 1st, 2012, 11:18 am

Well, looks like Im in trouble...
If anyone wants so swap acquisation boards or the whole logic analyzer, or if anyone has any suggestion what to do... Please contact me!

JimMauck

Post by JimMauck » December 22nd, 2012, 9:42 am

The Prism 30MPX did use the P6480 probe. A general rule of thumb for Tek logic analyzers is that the probe only fits into the connector of boards that it is compatible with (will work with). In other words a P6480 will only fit into the connectors on the 30MPM or 30MPX. Those are the only two modules that used the P6480.

The connector between the P6480 ports is for the Prototype Debug Tool (PDT) probe. The Prism 3001 is a monolithic version of the Prism 3002. This means it wasn't made to have different acquisition boards installed. There's a chance you could put a different board type in there but I don't know that from personal experience.

In my opinion the premiere module of the Prism 3000 Series was the 30HSM. It was a nice hardware debug tool and it is the only logic analyzer that I am aware of that has dual input thresholds. That means that it could detect tri-stated inputs.
Regards,

Jim Mauck
Applications Developer
Trideus Corporation
jmauck at trideus dot com

nonvolatile

Post by nonvolatile » December 27th, 2012, 2:58 am

Thank you very much, JimMauck. By now I got my probes (6480, 6486), the only problem left is the limited amount of time I can spend for private tinkering...

Return to “Logic Analyzers”