Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Reading/writing the NVRAM via GPIB on a TDS754D

Questions in this forum area are community supported. Tektronix does not regularly monitor posts in this area.
tony_g

Reading/writing the NVRAM via GPIB on a TDS754D

Post by tony_g » October 6th, 2016, 7:26 am

Hi All,

While I'm repairing my TDS 754D I thought it might be worth it to make a copy of the NVRAM contents from those old Dallas chips (mine are date code 99).

Can this be done via the GPIB or will I need to buy an external programmer that handles the 1650Y?

Thanks,

TonyG

strick

Re: Reading/writing the NVRAM via GPIB on a TDS754D

Post by strick » October 6th, 2016, 3:17 pm

Tony_g,
You can read the NVram using a GPIB cable using the dos (or win98 dos) program tektool. I don't have a usb GPIB setup because I've been calibrating TEK scopes and dos works best. Do a search for tektool on this site and you should find the C-code. If you don't want to go to the effort to compile with the GPIB drivers, I can send you the .exe file that I found - that works under win-98 in dos mode. If you want, send me a PM with your email.

Programming new DS1486 and DS1650 NVrams generally requires a rom burner. It may also be possible to set certain switches and use tektool to write to them. I tried once, but failed and reverted to the burner method. I use a GQ USB Universal programmer and have read and written to over 20 DS1486/DS1650s. BTW, you might have a DS1250 vice a 1650, but he architecture is the same and 1650s can be bought from China on eb for about 5 bucks.

Strick

Shutso

Post by Shutso » March 8th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Strick,
You have read and re-programmed Dallas DS1486 with a GQ USB burner, can you tell me which model GQ programmer you used to do that task. Most of the Universal USB programmers I have look at do not support the DS1486.

Shutso

strick

Post by strick » March 14th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Shutso,
I use a gq-3x programmer that's supported by MCUmall. It's been replaced by the GQ-4X. You can find them on EBAY.
I got it because it will program the DS1650.

The devices do NOT list the DS1486, but the DS1486 has the same pin layout as the DS-1245.
The DS1486 combines a clock with the DS-1245 1024K NVram.

when you burn it, you have to do an offset (on the chip side) of hex "D" as the first 12 bytes are taken up by the clock.

If you have gpib setup, you can simply write the DS1486 in place using tektool (any version). Much easier...

Strick

Return to “Other or Discontinued Oscilloscopes”