Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Transferring functions

Use this forum for questions about Keithley Test Script Builder software.
rocketman

Transferring functions

Post by rocketman » March 11th, 2011, 9:36 am

I am writing software for a test system that consists of one 3706 and three 2612As. They are connected via tsplink. I am planning for the 3706 to be the master and the 2612As to be slaves.

I would like for the 3706 to initialize the 2612As and load functions on each one. This will allow me to maintain just one piece of software. The three 2612As will all be configured exactly the same and have exactly the same functions loaded on them. What is the easiest way to transfer the functions to the 2612As? Can the function reside on the 3706? I think that I remember reading that a function that is loaded on one device connected via TSB is automatically available to all devices connected via Tsplink. If this is the case, I would not need to transfer the functions.

If I do need to have the functions reside in the 2612As runtime environment, what is the best way to transfer them? I was thinking of a script on the 3706 that would create the function on each 2612A by sending it each 2612A a chunk line by line. Maybe this could be in a loop with the node number being a variable since the functions are going to be the same for each. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alan I
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Transferring functions

Post by Alan I » March 16th, 2011, 7:37 am

When you reset TSP-Link, the instrument (i.e.node) that is connected to the host PC automatically becomes the master. This is the so-called localnode. When you download a script, it will reside in the localnode's run-time environment, as will any functions that the script creates. You control another instrument (i.e. a remote node) on the TSP-Link network by prefacing its commands with the node number of the instrument. For example, suppose the node number of one of your 2612As is 2. The ICL command to turn on the output of SMU Channel A on this instrument is node[2].smua.source.output = node[2].smua.OUTPUT_ON. If you simply want your function to use a particular SMU for a test, you can pass it the appropriate node number and SMU channel for the instrument you want to use. You do not have download the function to the remote node. To perform the same operations on all of your SMUs, just call your function(s) multpile times, passing it (them) different node and/or channel info each time. These function calls will execute sequentially. If this is good enough, then there is nothing else you have to do. The only time you need to worry about downloading scripts to each node is if your goal is to have all three 2612As doing things in parallel. If parallel operation is your goal, and you you can't accomplish it through trigger model operation alone, then you should review the information in the 2600A Series Reference Manual under "TSP advanced features."

One other comment... Conceptually it's understandable why you want to use your one 3706 as a master and your three 2612As as slaves. However, if speed is important to you I would generally recommend that you use one of the 2612As as a master because they have faster processors than the 3706. The exception to this would be if you will be using many more 3706 commands than 2612A commands. In this case, keeping the 3706 as a master may be the better a choice. Since you can use the same program code either way, it should be fairly straightforward to compare the throughput of both configurations if that is important to you.

Return to “Test Script Builder”