Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

Drivers for Mac OS X?

Models 2400, 2401, 2410, 2420, 2425, 2430, 2440, 6430
robnik

Drivers for Mac OS X?

Post by robnik » December 6th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Hi,

I'm new to these devices and electronics, but experienced in computer programming. I'd like to write software to communicate with a 2400 device from Mac OS X -- a plain C/C++ program -- no LabView or other software. From what I've read so far, I think I want to open a serial port and use the SCPI protocol. But I don't see any OS X drivers on the Keithley site. I also have a National Instruments GPIB-USB-HS connector so I plugged it into my USB port and the 2400 to see if a serial device file would show up in /dev. Nothing. Is there a driver I can download somewhere? Also, there is an RS-232 serial port in back of the 2400. Maybe I should use that port instead (after finding a USB adapter)?

thanks for any pointers,
Rob

Kenneth P
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: Drivers for Mac OS X?

Post by Kenneth P » December 6th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Hello Rob,

Unfortunately, there are no Mac OS X drivers for the 2400. You can use either the GPIB or Serial interface to communicate with the 2400. There are numerous C/C++ Visual Basic examples which can be viewed using a simple text editor. The examples will at least provide a sequence of commands that can be used in your program environment.

robnik

Re: Drivers for Mac OS X?

Post by robnik » December 6th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Kenneth P wrote:You can use either the GPIB or Serial interface to communicate with the 2400.
Thanks for the response. That's basically what I want, but I guess I was confused about where to find the drivers. I see one on the ni.com site for their USB-to-GPIB cable, and I assume there are similar ones for any USB-to-Serial cables I might find.

Rob

Return to “2400 Series SourceMeter”