Tektronix Technical Forums are maintained by community involvement. Feel free to post questions or respond to questions by other members. Should you require a time-sensitive answer, please contact your local Tektronix support center here.

High Resistance Measurement with 6517B

Gene D

High Resistance Measurement with 6517B

Post by Gene D » February 28th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Hi,

I am trying to make a simple resistance measurement of a 10M resistor. I have several other giga ohm resistors to measure as well.

I believe I have my 6517B meter setup correctly. I even reset to bench defaults. I have an interlock jumper installed. My meter MEAS-TYPE is set to resistance and my v-source is set to 40V. My range is set to 2uA.

My connections to my single resistor are as follows. I have a triax cable (237-ALG) connected to the Input connector on the back. The red clip is connected to one leg of my 10M ohm resistor. Since I have no other fixtures or shields for this simple test, my black and green clips are floating. I have a second cable connected to the V SOURCE HI connector and it is then connected to the other leg of my 10M ohm resistor.

I then press Z-CHK and the display goes to +0.00000 ohms. Next, I press the OPER key and the meter reads about 410M ohms and rises to giga ohm range in seconds. The blue voltage source LED is solid and not blinking.

The resistor connections do not make sense to me and I believe I am following the users and reference manuals correctly. It seems that the triax cable isn't correctly connected to the resistor.

Can a simple mega or giga ohm resistor be measured using a 237-ALG cable? Please note I have no other fixtures connected.

Thank you.

Dale C
Keithley Applications
Keithley Applications

Re: High Resistance Measurement with 6517B

Post by Dale C » March 3rd, 2014, 6:36 am

The two LOWs need to be connected together to complete the circuit.
This can be done in one of two ways.
Simply connect Voltage Source LO to input LO(Black alligator clip on the triax cable) together to complete the circuit.
Or use METER CONNECT.
Meter Connect connects these two points together internally.
1. Press CONFIG, let go.
2. Press OPER,
3. Use the righ arrow button to go all the way to the right and select METER-CONNECT. Press ENTER.
4. Select ON. Press ENTER.
5. Press EXIT.

That should do it.

Gene D

Re: High Resistance Measurement with 6517B

Post by Gene D » March 3rd, 2014, 7:56 am

Hi Dale,

Both of your suggestions worked for me.
Thank you very much for your help and quick reply.

Regards,
Gene

Return to “Resistivity Measurements”